Chapter 26

I don't know what is wrong with me. Why, why did I say yes to marrying Adrian? I couldn't exactly say no, since I heard about what happened when Lucia refused to marry him, but I've never been cowardly. Maybe a small part of me hoped that I would be able to find my father and leave—leave without the stone, but with my family. It would doom my people, the Night Angels if I let the royals stay in possession of the stone. The attacks from ten years ago could resume. The Celestials could triumph over the Night Angels with their newfound power.

But marriage. Marriage means that if Adrian dies, I die. And if I die, Adrian dies. The binding of souls and the binding of lives. I can't go through with this. If I marry him, it means that I cannot kill him without killing myself, too. I had planned on killing him after freeing my father and finding the stone. The marriage is in less than a week thanks to his prep while he missed training sessions with his cousins. I do not have as much time as I thought I did.

I slow to a stop, catching my breath and bracing my hands on my knees. The past two mornings, I have gone running on the beach at the crack of dawn. The exercise helps me think. It always has, whether it is fighting or running for my life.

The first thing I have to do is find my father. Everything else can wait, or not happen at all. All I care about right now is finding my father and getting out of here. I wipe the sweat from my brow and fiddle with the ring now suffocating my finger. Adrian gave it to me over a fancy dinner later that night. I can't remember much about that night, though. Its diamonds embedded throughout the band cut into my skin. A twin to Lucia's old band sitting next to it.

The ring sits on my right hand, and I can barely use my left hand. It's not just because of the thick bandages, but I can barely control the movement of my fingers. My hand feels tingly and weak. I curse myself each morning when I struggle to put on clothing that I let my anger get the better of me. In combination with the ring that marks me as Adrian's property, I feel utterly trapped and powerless. Suffocated.

I undress, peeling off the bandage as quickly as I dare, and let the warm water flow over me. My hand stings, but I clean it out anyway, wincing as the water turns pinkish, then red. Bandaging my hand is frustratingly difficult, but I manage to wrap it again without causing more bleeding.

Finally, I push open the bathroom door and am greeted by the man I am supposed to marry in a few short days. I smile, and he kisses me passionately.

"Where are you off to today, my love?"

I think for a second too long.

"I was thinking of going for a walk around this place since it is going to be my new permanent home."

He nods in understanding, gently caressing my neck and kissing me again, wishing me a good day. I need to move fast. I am out the door in seconds, heading down the hallway and preparing myself to enter the dungeon.

I stand outside the ominous door and open it without hesitation. I can't attract any more attention than I will when I descend the stairs. As I predicted, a guard is stationed at the end of the hall.

"Hey! What are you doing here?" He rushes over to me, keys jingling on his belt. Keys. I stand tall, looking down at him with a look that says, Do you seriously not know who I am?

"I'm here to see a prisoner." I maneuver past him, keeping my posture perfect.

I hear him run behind me to catch up with my fast stride.

"I'm sorry but you can't—"

I sigh, turning around. I take a satchel of gold coins out of my handbag, placing it in his hands.