Chapter 33

I have gotten used to waking up next to her. Her beautiful freckled face, her vibrant eyes. I fell in love with everything about Acilya. And I wish she was in love with me, too.

I lift the dagger from our makeshift weapon rack in the courtyard.

"I don't want to fight her. I'm not a murderer."

I still can't get over the fact that Acilya, the girl I am in love with, thinks I am a murderer. I have never killed anyone. I wanted to marry her and I thought she was in love with me, too.

Maybe my father encouraged me to marry her.

Maybe Adela told me to marry her.

But I am in love with her.

Even if things have been odd recently.

Even if I found a knife with Acilya's things and took it because I don't like having weapons around.

Ok, maybe I wanted it for my personal collection.

But if she had asked, I would have given it back.

Then it disappeared from my safe, where it was locked away.

I thought that somehow she had gotten it back. Odd, but I wanted to marry her. I was in love with her. I still am. Even if my family has been acting strange around her. Even if Lucia died and Acilya is blaming me.

Grayson punches my shoulder, pulling me back into reality.

"What are you doing? You have to fight her because she challenged you. So stop complaining."

Grayson always was truthful with me.

I grimace and get into a ready position.

This is going to be a long day.

I am used to training with knives and swords, even my Celestial powers. But it gets tiring after a while.

Even though the Celestial powers are banned throughout both continents, most are still trained in secret. Especially the royals.

I know that Acilya will likely use her powers since she knows that she is not as strong as I am.

So will I.

I will not lose, even if it means killing the woman I love.