Chapter 27

Celia Niehdre had never felt such fear. She and her daughter had been traveling alone for weeks. She had stopped counting after the first few. Celia did not ride as fast as Gabriel would, since he could run faster on his prized stallions. Celia had to ride slower, with their recently filled bags and her extra rider. Acilya was quiet and obedient, listening to her mother each time she was told to run into the treeline and hide while Celia brought the horse off the road. Celia knew they were in danger and that it was only a matter of time before the royal legions caught up to them, so they couldn't risk it. Each time Celia heard horses approaching on the leaf-strewn road, she got them off to the side as fast as she could. She couldn't risk it. Thankfully, they were only about a half–day's ride away from the train station.

Celia was crouched in a ditch, holding her horse's reins while she listened to the newest group of riders pass. She dared peer over the grassy lip, and as she did, she regretted it immediately. She recognized the golden royal emblem on the saddles, and whipped her head around, closing her eyes tightly and waiting for them to pass. After what seemed like hours, she could no longer hear them. They were gone.

Her hands were shaking. She waited a few extra minutes before softly calling her daughter's name. When she saw her little girl emerging from the woods, dirt smudged on her cheek, clutching her dirtied stuffed bear, she couldn't stop the tears that came. She pulled her into a tight hug, breathing deeply. The royal soldiers were heading west, toward the train station. She knew that more would come their way and that the road was no longer safe. She held her daughter's hand and led her back into the woods where their horse awaited them. Though it would take longer, riding through the forest and flanking the road was a safer alternative. Celia did not want to risk their survival.

Nightfall came swiftly, but Celia knew they had little time and needed to get to the train, so they rode through the night. She blocked the sounds of the forest out of her head, the unnatural sounds that could only come from a prowling beast. She told herself it was the wind and comforted Acilya when she whispered her worries about the monsters in the darkness.

As the sky lightened in anticipation of the rising sun, Celia knew they were only minutes away from arriving at the train. She could see, through the trees, the buildings and the train in the distance. She could not see the Split. She assumed it was further along the tracks. Within minutes, they stood at the edge of the forest. She only took a small bag of food and supplies, as well as Acilya's knife, which she had recently embedded the golden stone within for safekeeping. It was all they would take with them on their journey. Celia steeled herself, taking a deep breath, and carefully walked out of the safety the trees provided. She pulled the hood of her cloak over her head, motioning for her daughter to do the same. They walked along one of the buildings, avoiding any people but listening to whatever information they gave away.

"This is the last load of cargo going over the Split, we are on specific orders from the Celestial royals to cease any transportation to or from the continents."

Celia sucked in a breath. She had to get to this train in time. They had to get to the trees on the far side of the complex, but would they make it without getting caught?

The train started to move. She had no choice. She grabbed her daughter's hand and ran, faster than she ever had. She wouldn't let them stay there and be killed. But, more importantly, she had to save her daughter. They had almost reached the forest when someone shouted an alert that there were unauthorized citizens heading for the train. She dug her feet into the dirt and pushed harder.

They would make it. They had to.

They were closing in now, yelling at them to stop and threatening to fire. The train was moving faster, and she could see an opening in the trees. She just had to make it to the field. She picked up her daughter as they burst into the field, running faster as the train passed by. She could see a door on the side of a car, flapping in the wind. Unlocked. They were approaching the train when Celia heard a bang and lurched forward. They hit her in the shoulder with a firearm. She could barely stand. She kept running. Another bang. The pain did not fully register, but her vision swam and darkness began to creep into her sight. They were feet away from the train now, and she forced her legs to move even as sparks of pain shot down her legs and she could feel an odd wetness in her boots. She had to get her daughter on that train. She shoved the door open, pushing Acilya inside and pressing the bag of supplies to her chest just as the darkness took over and she heard another bang.

The last thing she saw was her daughter's face. Celia's face, only countless years younger. Crying out for her mother.

And Celia's heart swelled with love as the darkness took over.