Chapter 32

I won the Challenge. Fallon embraces me and I am so glad we decided to get married because he kisses me, and it is the most amazing feeling ever and—

And he tells me he is proud of me and that he has always been in love with me.

He has always been in love with me.

He wants to leave this place with me. His hand feels right in my own.

I hear a knock at my door and my eyes snap open.

A stupid dream.

I grumble a curse as Fallon walks in.

"My offer still stands. You would have a greater chance of winning if—"

My dream flashes in front of my eyes.

"Okay."

"Okay? So you will?"

I nod. He smiles.

"We can have the ceremony pretty fast, I know a servant who is educated on what to do, you know, and—"

"Yeah, sounds good. What time?"

He sounds...

Nervous.

"As soon as possible. I can get her right now if you want," he offers.

I agree that the sooner, the better. I will need to learn how to use his powers in addition to my own. Even though they will give me more strength, I still need to learn.

I don't even know how the whole sharing power thing works. I guess we'll figure it out as we go along.

While Fallon leaves to find his friend, I shower and get myself mentally ready to do this.

I have feelings for him.

This is going to be hard.

But what about the bond? According to the Celestial the other day who was supposed to marry Adrian and me, marriage is a ceremony that honors the bond that already exists. I unwrap my hand and climb into the shower. It's almost completely healed now, and the skin where the slice was is pink and new. I won't have to bandage it again, and my full mobility has finally returned.

I guess we do have a bond of love in some way.

I love him in a way I have never loved anyone, and he cares enough about me to put his own life on the line.

Only, it's not the type of bond I wish we had.

I have to get over my feelings if I want to get through this.

I clean my body and towel–dry my hair, not bothering to cover the markings on my back with the cream. Instead, I pull on a simple tunic and trousers. Even though I am tempted to don a flowy dress for my marriage, I understand that romance is not a part of our arrangement. Fallon is sitting on my bed when I emerge from the bathroom.

"You ready to go?"

I nod, smiling a little. I can't help that I am excited to feel fully connected to him.

We stand in our usual training spot on the beach, the servant beside us. She is wearing the usual formal servants' attire, so I'm sure if anyone sees us all together they would think it odd.

She keeps the ceremony short and sweet and surprises me by handing Fallon a knife, a dainty, bejeweled dagger not unlike the one I used to have. He explains that when a marriage ceremony is conducted, those who will connect souls first mix their blood, then agree to bond together.

I nod. I never got to this part of the ceremony with Adrian. I guess we're just cutting right to the chase.

He gently runs the knife across the skin of his right palm and bits of red slowly emerge. I offer him my hand. He carefully holds it, brushing his thumb over the back of my hand. Shivers go up my arm. He does the same, ever so gently sliding the blade over my palm, then offering his hand to bond our souls. I grab it without hesitation.