Eleven

~ Annalise

"Mom it's fine! I'm not a fucking drug addict and I don't need help!" I groan and put the book I'm reading down before pulling the covers over my head.

Can they just shut up for once?!

I just want to be able to wake up peacefully on a Saturday morning and go make myself coffee and then read on the couch until mid afternoon.

You know what, I will do that. Screw them and their inability to shut the fuck up.

Getting up from my bed, I grab my headphones and start playing music

I confidently open my bedroom door and go down the hallway to the bathroom just to wash my face, brush my teeth, and pee because it feels as though my bladder is about to pop.

This morning is actually quite nice. The sun is shining through the open windows in the house, making it bright and airy. Except the open windows are letting the cold wind through.

My thumb pushes the sound button to higher the volume as I get closer to my mom and sister.

The echos of their voices play as an undertone to the music. I higher the volume again.

Hm, what should I eat for breakfast today?

I think I'm in the mood to eat fruit.

I take out a small cutting board and fruit I had bought at the grocery store a few days ago and cut it up into pieces before placing it in a bowl.

I bought myself some peaches, cherries, and watermelon. The best fruits to ever exist.

The wooden window above the sink is open, letting in a nice breeze. It's ten in the morning and kids are already outside riding their bikes and playing catch in the middle of the street.

I watch as one of the little kids with a small afro and really big eyes goes to catch the football but trips over a broken part in the road

His knees collapse into the concrete and I cringe.

"It's the element of surprise! You'll never know when I'm going to throw it. You have to be on your toes." Vera grins menicingly at me as she rolls the football back and forth in the palms of her hands.

I roll my eyes and let out a breath of frustration as I plant my hands on my hips. This girl is pissing me off. "Just throw the ball! Or I'm going inside." She doesn't seem very threatened by me.

She continues staring at me with a slight grin of knowing imprinted on her lips.

A few seconds later and she still hasn't thrown it.

Suddenly a brown figure flies through the sky. My eyes follow it. A hawk!

I excitedly point my finger up at the sky. "Vera look a-"

"Catch!" She interrupts me.

My eyes widen and immediately look at the football being chucked towards my head.

Quickly I run to get closer so I can catch it. A broken part of the road hits the front of my sneaker.

I begin to feel myself fall.

It's too quick for me to produce a reaction.

Suddenly pain hits me a second later as I look down and see my hands planted in front of me.

Pain shoots up my hands and knees.

I begin to cry.

"Annalise!" Vera says in a worried voice as she runs over and grabs my elbows to pick me up.