Seventeen

~ Annalise ~ nine years ago - third grade

"Ohmygod!" Vera jumps up slightly and catches something in her hands.

I immediately turn my head to her. She's frozen in mid-air, her palms enclosed and her eyes wide.

My eyebrows pinch together in confusion. "What is it?" I run over to her and tilt my head, wondering what could be in her hand.

I move closer and peer down into her hands as she slowly opens them like a blooming flower. A big lady bug sits in her palm.

My face scrunches. Yeah, it's spots are cute, but it's still bug. Meaning that it's equally horrifying.

"Ewww." I quickly back up.

Vera snaps her gaze to me and she smacks her lips. "Callaté muchachita."

She turns her gaze back to the insect and I sigh. Whatever. We're currently on a small hill under a tree behind my elementary school. Technically it's not her's anymore since she's in middle school.

Now I'm left in school all alone looking like a loser.

Well, I do have Ro. He was in my class last year and shared his colored pencils with me. Now he's my best friend.

He has friends other than me though. His cousin or something. Reed. He's a butthole. Always so bossy and rude. I told him once he needed to fix himself and he just smiled. I wanted to slap him.

I look back over to my sister whose now leaning against the tree trunk while sitting on the grass.

She's still admiring the lady bug that hasn't moved from her hands.

Her brown fluffy curly hair is spread around her shoulders like a cloud. The sun shines against her tan skin.

I sit down right next to her and watch the lady bug walk around her palms.

"Do you ever wish you could be a lady bug?," I ask, interrupting the silence.

She ponders. "Why?"

I shrug, "If I were a lady bug I wouldn't have to go to school."

She scoffs. "Oh stop complaining."

If I were a lady bug people would consider catching me a gift. They'd think that I'm good luck. Except I hate that I feel like roly poly. The type of bug that people look at and then crush with their shoe.

"Ayo Vera!" Vera and I both turn our heads to the sound of a male voice calling her.

Out on the side of the road a group of guys and few girls walk.

My lips tilt down disapprovingly. I don't like them. Once I asked my sister if I could tag along with them and she said no. They don't want to hang out with someone like me.

I don't know what that means, but I'm not so sure I want to find out.

Vera flicks the lady bug off her hand and stands up, brushing the dirt off her jeans shorts.

She turns to me. "Tell mom I went to hang out with my friends. You can walk home." Leaning down, she drops a kiss on my forehead and heads off down the hill to hang out with the kids that smell like skunks.

I'm left under the shade of the tree as I watch them walk off until they're out of sight.

When I look around everything looks empty. There's no one anywhere.

Even when there's people around it still feels like there's no one anywhere. Even if they seem to be everywhere.

~ End of Flashback