Twenty two

~ Annalise

When I come home I see ma sitting at the kitchen table, a bunch of papers spewed in front of her as she stares at them with her reading glasses. A pen rests in her hand.

She doesn't see me as I walk over.

I chew on my bottom lip and stand next to her as I place my science exam next to her.

"I got a 85," I say. I'm quite happy with that score and I need to share it with someone. I've been containing my excitement all day. I even told Ms. V earlier at the library before I ran into Reed.

Her eyes glance over to it. "That's not very good," she responds plainly before looking back over to the bills.

I purse my lips. "For physics I feel like that's pretty good," my voice comes out quiet.

She doesn't respond, just hums and continues looking through the papers.

Unnoticeably, I grab the corner of the test and slide it off the table quietly before turning around and walking down the hall my room.

I swallow the small ball in the back of my throat and toss the test to the ground as I close the door behind me.

Why did I even show her it?

Was I expecting her to scream and hug me and start jumping up and down?

I groan and flop onto my bed.

"Mamá mira!" I grin and hold my test up for my ma to look at. I got a A!

She takes a sip of her coffee and the corners of her lips pull upwards slightly.

"Remember: always shoot for that A+!" She quickly reaches out and gently pinches my cheek before walking away and to her room.

I stand there staring at where she just was.

My face drops slightly and I look back towards my grade.

I'll just study harder. And one day I'm gonna make her proud.

All I really have to be proud of is my grades.

And that's not impressive enough for her so I have nothing else to offer.

My dad just doesn't care. He didn't even graduate high school. I could be failing and he'd just shrug.

I hate myself for even wanting their...approval? Nothing I do is ever enough to really make them turn their heads and think wow, I'm so proud of her.

Whatever.

"Ma, I got a hundred!" I walk over to my mom as she paces back and forth in the kitchen, Vera stands across from her.

They're talking a little loudly as I get closer.

She looks upset with Vera right now but that doesn't stop me from tapping her arm.

"Ma-"

"And you just don't get it!," she continues yelling at Vera.