Forty

~ Annalise

"And then my teacher said that I need to pay attention. I don't gots to pay nothing! I don't have money!" Gracie dramatically stretches her arms out in the air.

I feign astonishment when in reality I just want to laugh as I squeeze some sunscreen out the tube and onto my fingertips.

We just finished eating pancakes and now we're sitting on the bed as Gracie rambles about school.

"And what did your teacher say to that?" I hold her chin with one hand and place dots of sunscreen all over her face with the other.

Gracie scrunches up her nose as I begin to rub the sunscreen into her skin. "She says to me that if I continue she gonna send me to the principal's office." A little angry frown forms on her face.

"What an evil woman." I pretend gasp while rubbing in the remaining sunscreen.

The sound of the door opening makes my head turn.

Reed walks through, looking between both of us. He's already wearing jeans and a plain black shirt.

I think I can faintly see his abs through it.

A smile appears on his face as he waltzes over and sits next to me, leaning on his hand placed near my other side.

"I can't wait until third grade's over." She sighs.

I tilt my head. "Why?"

She flops down on the pillows behind her. "Because this grade is boring and next year when I'm in fourth grade I'll finally be able to get myself a boyfriend! This boy in class told me everyone starts dating then!"

Reed stiffens next to me.

"Boyfriend?," he questions.

I try not to laugh. He sounds genuinely stressed out.

I lift my hand to rub his lower back but his eyes remain on Gracie who now sits back up.

"Yeah?" She suddenly looks to me. "Annalise have you ever had a boyfriend?"

I look to Reed with wide eyes and he raises his eyebrow at me.

I clear my throat. "Well...yes. But you're a little young for a boyfriend miss."

She frowns. "No I'm not."

"No dating until you're eighteen," Reed states plainly.

Gracie's mouth falls open. "Wha- why?"

"Because boys have cooties," he replies immediately.

My head spins to him. "Then why are you near me right now? Get away!" I try to shoo him with my hand but he playfully grabs it and pulls me towards him so I fall into his chest. I laugh and try to pull myself up but he keeps me hugged to him.

"Annalise! You're gonna get cooties! Reed let her go!" Gracie sits up and reaches out to grab my hand, trying to pull me forward.

"You're gonna have to save yourself!," I reply. "It's too late for me!"

Gracie's eyes narrow at her brother.