twenty; normal things

Things in Hawkins finally became somewhat... normal again. The quiet town in the middle of Indiana could return to what it once was. Normality sounded odd to even think about. After the last year of strange things occurring, to finally have a moment of calmness was great. It was like an apology gift from the universe for having to deal with monsters from an alternate dimension. Teddy appreciated it.

Teddy's life remained relatively unchanged after the gate closed. He continued to do well in school, scoring top in almost all his classes. He still had his father and his cat Dewy to relax with on Sunday Afternoons. He could go to the arcade with Max and the rest of the party like before. However, there was one new aspect he happily welcomed back into his life: Eleven.

Teddy needed to wrap his brain around that still. El was real. She was back. When she returned from closing the gate, Teddy gave her the biggest hug he could muster and thank her for all she had done. He never wanted to let go in fear she would disappear... but she wouldn't. She was there. They could all be normal. Be normal, young teenagers for once.

Teddy and El could finally spend some time together... doing whatever. Perhaps just the two of them, or maybe the rest of the party could tag along too! Teddy didn't care what it was, he would be his happiest self with her. There was one little, but very important, issue. El couldn't go out like the rest of them. Not yet. To be safe and assure the government still wasn't after her, she needed to lay low and hide for a bit longer.

Teddy could work around that. He could do many things inside or just outside the cabin. He could bring over movies from the local Family Video, board games, and books. For anything outside, he could teach her how to ride a bike or play with water guns once it got hot. There were so many possibilities... he just didn't know when he could start going over to the cabin. Luckily for him, not long after the gate was closed, Hopper wanted to find him for something.

One afternoon, the police chief found Teddy biking to the arcade and had a request for him. El continually asked him to ask Teddy to "do those lessons. To teach her anything." He didn't understand exactly what she meant and went to the source for answers. Teddy knew. He told her the day the Demogorgon took her that he'd do schooling lessons with her after everything was over. Teddy was ecstatic! He always wanted to teach someone his knowledge and general information. That time finally came. Hopper offered for him to come over the following evening and Teddy eagerly agreed.

So, the very next afternoon, Teddy gathered anything his eyes gazed upon in his bedroom he could bring over to El. Letters, his favorite book when he was younger (The Twits by Roald Dahl), other school books neatly placed beside his desk were among the pile in his arms. He managed to throw one more thing on top of this stack: Boy Scout. (The cream colored bear wore a brand new accessory, but that was for later) It was about time she reunited with the bear. She'd love to have it back.