epilogue; happy christmas from the chambers

ONE MONTH LATER

Everything in Hawkins appeared to return back to normal. Life moved on past the events of early November 1983. Days turned into weeks and weeks turned into a month. Fall turned to Winter and snow now laid on the ground in Hawkins. Though time sped by him, Teddy seemed stuck in place. How could people move on so quickly? He didn't understand. The ginger didn't move on past what had happened that week. His heart latched onto that strange girl, Eleven. He never forgot about El. How could he?

Teddy couldn't find himself moving on in comparison to everyone else... like he was clinging to the good parts of the past. Perhaps it was because of his heart's longing for El. Maybe it was something else within—when he was younger, he would cling to the good parts of the past to make his current situation better (ex. when his parents were in a very rough spot... but, he didn't wish to delve into that at the moment) It was his coping mechanism.

Thomas's concern rose within when he noticed his son's nerves ticks become more frequent and noticeable, and the mumblings of past events. As a father, what was he supposed to do? Make his child comfortable, of course... He tried talking to Teddy about it and even once suggesting therapy again. Teddy would shake his head and put on his brave face, claiming and assuring he was okay. Was he okay? It had been a month... how was he not okay yet? Would therapy have helped? No... Teddy tried therapy before and he didn't like it. What was he to do? Teddy didn't know, but he didn't let his grief get the best of him and still acted as if everything going on the inside of him was perfect.

Christmas time... Christmas time was the best time of the year, at least, one of the best in Teddy's very humble opinion. Snow, hot tea, sweaters, the aesthetic of Christmas was just something near and dear to the ginger's heart. To make things better, today was Christmas Eve. After a morning of father-son Christmas bonding by watching multiple Christmas movies, Thomas allowed Teddy to spend the afternoon into the evening with his friends. That time was spent in Mike's basement playing the party's beloved board game, Dungeons and Dragons.

"Something is coming. Something angry. Hungry for your blood. It is almost here." Mike's voice commanded over the table, the four other boys eagerly listening. (Teddy had his official seat at the table. He still hadn't outright played the game yet and stuck by Will's side but now he didn't read comics if he felt bored or didn't completely understand. He'd ask questions or even try to input his own thoughts as he believed he had a better understand of the game.) Anticipation and adrenaline kicked through the boys' systems as they awaited for Mike to continue.

Will asked, "What is it?"

"It's the Thessalhydra, I'm telling you!" Dustin told the group.

"It's not the Thessalhydra." Lucas assured.