four; welcome home

chapter four; welcome home

Dustin returned from camp today. After nearly a month away, leaving the Sunday after school ended for the year, he came back to Hawkins. Teddy anticipated this day since... well, since he left. He deeply missed his friend, even if he knew he was at summer camp and he was having fun there. Back-and-forth letters somewhat filled the lively void left by Dustin, but it wasn't the same. But, now he was coming back! Teddy couldn't be more excited.

With this excitement, not just from Teddy, the party created a plan, similar to what Max did for Teddy. They'd surprise him. They'd have a little surprise 'welcome home' get-together to show Dustin how much they missed him. They'd use Eleven's powers to scare him a little then, boom! Surprise! Then afterward they'd do whatever he wanted. Another fun day of summer in the books!

The morning of, Teddy gathered his noisemakers left over from his party (for the surprise part), markets, colored pencils, his music tapes (as Max was bringing her own boom box) and shoved them into his backpack. He couldn't wait! He practically sprinted down the hall with his belongs, and he could make it on time if he left now—

"Where are you going?"

Of course. Someone else was in the home. Someone that would try to rain on his parade. His mother.

Teddy stopped in his tracks. He slowly turned around, taking a deep breath as he did so. Eleanor was awake. She rested along the couch, a steaming cup of tea on the coffee table. Her eyes and head turned away from the television and toward her son with a sense of curiosity. Her eyes questioned his every action, his every movement, as if his whole existence was about to make some mistake for her to judge upon. He started to fiddle with his fingers as he nervously explained, "Mummy, uh, my friend Dustin is coming home from camp today. The party and I are going to surprise him." He returned to his excited self the more he talked about it. He wiggled his shoulder to shake his backpack with a large smile, "I got supplies and everything. It'll be wicked!"

Eleanor raised her eyebrow, "The party?"

"My friends. It's a tit—a title. Like a group name. It's a Dungeons and Dragons term... for groups of allied players... friends."

"Oh? You... actually have friends?"

"Y-yes. I have friends, really good friends, my best friends." He told her, his lip quivering as he did so. She didn't believe him. Of course she didn't. He was nothing in her eyes, didn't deserve or ever want friends, even if that was far from the truth, it was what Eleanor must've believed. "They-they're the ones who came up with it... they let me join almost 2 years ago. Well... not let, they are actually my friends, it's just formality."

She snorted, hiding her sick grin with her hand, "Now, that's the real surprise. You... Theodore Chambers, my son, having friends. You never had friends."