twenty-five; the battle of starcourt

chapter twenty-five; the battle of starcourt

(Trigger warning—violence and blood!)

The world had to be against him, Teddy reasoned in his frenzied-filled mind. The rationale made so much sense at the moment. The world was always against him throughout his entire life. Nothing remained peaceful for long enough. Never. Everything always had to turn sideways. It always did.

What did Teddy Chambers do in his life to deserve this? What did he do to deserve any of it? For that matter, what did any of them do? Of course this happened to him. He was born to an abusive mother with a father who was abused as well. When they escape, they find themselves facing interdimensional monsters. Now, his mother and the monsters were in his life, both attempting to kill him.

The never-ending cycle of escapism started once again in the backrooms of Starcourt Mall. Another escape attempt. More running. Think everything was okay, only to run once more. It was a cycle, repeating constantly the previous week. Now, Teddy and his friends resorted to the running part once again.

One wrong move, one wrong turn in this back room, and he was dead. All four of them would be dead. Whether the kill be from his mother or Billy or even that flesh monster...

They ran for their lives. Literally. If they stopped... Teddy couldn't even bare to think about it. They sprinted so much Teddy was practically gasping for air, but they didn't stop. El struggled to keep up, but holding onto Teddy kept her up to pace with the others. Her groans of pain became more frequent, the surges burning her leg, but they couldn't stop. No... stopping would lead to their demise. Billy and Eleanor would catch up to them... were they even following? In honesty, Teddy wasn't sure. He hadn't paid attention to what was behind him. His mind only focused on finding their way out.

Through the twists and turns of the back hallways of the mall, it felt like one large maze. Where was an exit? God, if Teddy had time to properly think, he'd criticize whoever designed this building. Finally, just ahead was an elevator. An elevator would have to do. "In here. In here." Mike motioned the three to follow behind him. He rushed forward and aggressively pressed the down button of the elevator as if it would make it move faster. "Okay. Come on, come on, come on..."

"Stairs for an emergency," Teddy whispered in a haste, eyeing around the room for the presence of any stairs. It was not the time for such a comment, but he couldn't help himself. It was how he was conditioned.

"Oh, great idea," Mike sarcastically replied with an eye roll. "Now, where are they?"

"I-I-I don't—" He didn't know. He gulped instead of finishing his thought. He started to chew on his lip nervously as they still awaited the elevator, and Mike pressed the elevator button with even more pressure. Where were the stairs anyways? Before anyone could say anything, a door slammed open. Teddy tensed as his breath hitched in his throat, jumping with Mike and El at the noise. He knew who it was.