fourteen; the mind flayer

chapter fourteen; the mind flayer

"You know, these are really good drawings." Teddy acknowledged, standing before one of many drawings of some sort of tunnels on the wall with his hands clasped behind his back. The group made it back to the Byers home, awaiting to see what is to be done about the monsters and Will.

"Really? That's what you're taking away from this?" Mike questioned with an annoyed tone in his voice. Teddy turned back to see his friends sitting/standing at the dinner table, either watching Teddy or Hopper try to get someone on the phone line to talk to him. The others were scattered around the room. Mike stared at the ginger, looking unimpressed. Ahh, Mike. Teddy hadn't seen his raven haired friend a few days and this was the first thing they said to each other.

Teddy gently shook his head, growing flustered at being "called out", "No. Just... just an observation." His voice shrunk as he finished his sentence. He was just noticing his other friend's talent. The drawings were the tunnels, Mike had told him when he originally stood up to look at them. This creature's tunnels that connected all of Hawkins that somehow had an effect on these monsters. How could he not try to look at them for a better understanding?

"I think they're good drawings too, Theo." Max added, upon seeing his whole demeanor shrink.

"Thanks." He mumbled, retreating to the open seat next to the girl.

In high stress situations, Thomas always used to tell Teddy to try to distract himself. Last year, he had Boy Scout with him to ease the feelings along with El. Now... he didn't really have anything. He didn't want another full blown panic attack so... he needed something else to focus on... something other than the drawings (because Mike didn't like that). His hands started to fiddle and shake... focus on something... focus on... Teddy's eyes fell on Hopper, the pissed off police officer getting more angry with each passing minute on the phone. He'd focus on Hopper.

"I don't know how many people are there! I don't know how many people are left alive! ... I am the police! Chief Jim Hopper!" He shouted at the other person on the line. "Yes, the number I gave you, yes. 6767... I will be here!" He aggressively hung up the phone with a huff. Silence soon followed. No one said anything to Hopper. The man was still fuming about no one taking them seriously—to be fair, this monster business was very far fetched.

Teddy, being uncomfortable with the situation, broke the silence with a tiny question, "...so...it didn't go well?"

Hopper didn't answer. The answer was obvious. Obviously, it didn't go well. "They didn't believe you, did they?" Dustin added.

"We'll see." Hopper answered.

""We'll see?" We can't just sit here while those things are loose!" Mike argued.

"We stay here, and we wait for help." Hopper walked away from the children, not entertaining any more conversation from them. That pissed Mike off, but he didn't follow after or even try snipping in another comment... that was because Hopper went to comfort Joyce, who had just lost her boyfriend Bob.