fourteen; the flayed

chapter fourteen; the flayed

Nancy bore important and urgent news. She investigated something similar to what the kids had been looking for. It was unintentional on her behalf originally, but it led her right to the Mind Flayer. She and Jonathan gathered the kids around the sofa. Both sides explained what happened the previous night: the kids with their sauna test and Nancy watching Mrs. Driscoll freak out with dark veins pulsing through her body in the Hawkins Memorial Hospital.

"It was the same thing, the exact same thing that happened to Will last year." Nancy told them, "and look at this. Look at these body temperatures." She placed the paperwork on the coffee table for the kids to see. Teddy and Will in particular scooted closer to the edge of the couch to read what it said. Will traced his finger down each temperature of Mrs. Driscoll taken last night, every test was below 96 degrees.

"This is below average. Way below. Fatal levels of cold." Teddy analyzed. It made sense. Perfect sense to be connected to the Mind Flayer.

"He likes it cold." Will added, slowly nodding his head.

"Okay, so this crazy old woman who was eating fertilizer—" Mike started, only for his older sister to correct him.

"Mrs. Driscoll."

"Right, yeah, Mrs. Driscoll. What time was the attack?"

"Last night."

"Right, but what time last night?"

"Around 9:00." Nancy answered.

Jonathan turned back to his girlfriend and asked, "You waited all night to call?"

"I was waiting for the doctors to run some tests." Nancy explained to him with her arms crossed.

"You weren't there?" Will questioned in disbelief. His brother left his girlfriend's side?

"Well, I'm here now, aren't I?" Jonathan defended, throwing his hands in the air.

"Hallelujah!" Nancy sarcastically praised and rolled her eyes. Oh. Something happened between them. Everyone could tell. Lucas winced, Teddy reaching forward from his spot on the couch to nudge him, a sign to keep his comments to himself. Now wasn't the time. Seems like everyone was having relationship problems this summer. Nancy tried to get back on track, rubbing her eyes with her thumb and stammered out, "Um, so, wha-what time was your sauna test?"

"Around 9:00." Everyone responded in agreeance.

"Well, that proves it. That proves my theory." Nancy stated

"She's flayed, just like Billy." Mike chimed

Jonathan furrowed his brows, "Flayed?"

"The Mind Flayer. He flays people. Takes over their mind." Mike explained, "once they do that, they basically become him."