prologue; enjoy the summertime

The Summer of '85 started as any child would dream. It was the best time of the year after all—no school work, no true responsibilities, just fun time to spend with friends. The children of Hawkins, Indiana (including our wonderful main cast) were having a blast. The months solely consisted of time in the sun doing anything outside, whether that be lounge at the pool, swimming, biking, playing Man-Hunt in the dark, anything was possible. Even when inside, there was always something to do, the Arcade, board games, etc. The best summer was upon them.

Teddy Chambers was trying to have the greatest summer ever. He did everything he possibly could to plan out the months to enjoy himself and not worry/be sad about... other things that occurred in his life (or last December to be specific). This time was for him and his own little journey of self-discovery, trying to piece some things together before going to high school. He didn't want much change... just, a final realization of who exactly he was.

But some things were changing. Some things that were bound to happen. To point out the elephant in any room, they were growing up. Growth spirts and deepening voices hit the boys of the party.  The girls grew into themselves. They were not the same little kids they were two years ago.

Puberty started in Teddy 3 months prior to the end of June, around Spring Break. It was minuscule at first, little things like more voice cracks and pains in his knees. Since that time, he wasn't the shortest of the party. In fact, he became the second/third tallest behind Mike... and just about tied with Lucas), which may not sound like much but it was a big deal to him. No longer was Teddy tiny. He still had more puberty to come, there was no stopping that.

Teddy may have changed, but he was still... himself. He was still Theodore Chambers—that awkward British boy who always introduced himself as Theodore then quickly followed it up with "Teddy", knew too many random facts and wished to tell everyone about it, still relatively nervous about life in general and had a love of cats. Self-discovery didn't mean a complete wipe of who he was.

Summer was in his midst. It was Teddy's summer. The best summer. He'd make do of what he could... and maybe he'd try again to get over some silly little crush.

"Theo, come on it's summer! You can't mope inside all day." Max lamented dramatically, letting herself hang upside down from her bed with her phone against her ear.

These six months also allowed for the two gingers of the party's friendship to blossom. Max and Teddy became best friends, no more awkwardness, the ones in the party who'd try to make all the plans to hang out because they wanted to see each other. Now, that may sound like crushes, but nope. Max and Lucas were on-and-off in a relationship and Teddy... well, he was himself. Max treated Teddy like a younger brother, teasing him but always there for him. He saw her in a similar light.