eighteen; stand up for yourself

chapter eighteen; stand up for yourself

Steve told the children to stay put. All they had to do was stay in the house and he'd handle Billy. That was it. As he went to the door, he repeated that they needed to hide, to keep Max out of sight of her brother. The children listened, letting Steve step out and try to get Billy away... but then immediately, they all turned around to see what was happening outside. Teddy tried to say something about listening to who was in charge, but Max pulled him down to her side on the backwards couch so they could peek out the window. They just couldn't help their curiosity.

There wasn't much to see. It was dark outside. The light from inside the house spilled from the broken window and the moon light up the two teenagers standing by Billy's car.

"What do you think they're saying?" Teddy wondered in a hushed voice. He moved his head around a lot as if it would give him a better view.

The kids didn't hide well. They didn't even try to hide the fact they were watching. Billy's eyes soon fell toward them, his gaze burning Teddy's soul. There was something so harsh, so... angry in Billy's eyes, he couldn't quite describe it. Billy slightly motioned his cigarette toward the window, which prompted Steve to quickly jerk around finally noticing the kids didn't listen to him at all.

Upon being noticed, their eyes widened as they all fell back on the couch. Oh... they were about to be in some deep shit.

"SHIT!" Dustin swore, "did he see us?"

Teddy slowly turned his head toward Dustin with his mouth open, "...really?"

Stupid question. Obviously they were seen. Why else would Billy point his cigarette right at them? They had one thing to do and they couldn't even do that. The kids scrambled to their feet, away from the window and into the middle of the room. They needed to figure out what to do. What could they even do? Before anyone came up with an idea, the front door slammed open to reveal Billy in all his glory.

It was the first time Teddy saw Max's step-brother and now, he wished they never met. There was something about Billy Hargrove that Teddy didn't like. Perhaps it was the cocky aurora along with the mullet that made him unlikeable. "Well, well, well." He swung the door behind him. His nasty glare fell right on Lucas, "Lucas Sinclair. What a surprise." He stomped forward, his attention on his step-sister and Lucas. "I thought I told you to stay away from him, Max."

"Billy, go away." Max directed.

"You disobeyed me." Billy grumbled, "and you know what happens when you disobey me."

"Billy..."

"I break things." His attack went right to Lucas. With a loud grunt, he gripped Lucas by his coat collar and started to pull him away. It caught the others off guard, in a frenzy. Teddy freaked out. Max, Mike, Dustin, and Teddy shouted and begged Billy to stop. They called his name, gave pleas... Nothing worked. They wished to do something, but knew they were no match.