JASON

"So, you said you would explain?" Jason's mom asked. She was in the kitchen, finishing up the butter chicken curry she said she wanted to attempt. The smell of spices filled the air and smelled delightful to Jason.

He sat at the table, fidgeting with his fingers, wondering how he would tell his mom he thinks he's gay. Jason knew his mom would never judge him and if she supported Percy being gay, he wouldn't be any different. He was her son after all. Thalia wasn't straight either. She came out as a lesbian a few years back and his mother ad happily accepted her.

So, why was this so hard?

"Jason?" His mother said, turning around to face him from the stove. "What's bothering you?"

"Mom, I don't . . . I guess I just want to say," Jason took a deep breath, "I broke up with Piper."

"Oh, did you?" She asked, wiping her hands on a cloth. "Why's that?"

"I guess she just wasn't right for me." Just get to the point, Jason.

"Hmm, I never really thought she suited you. You didn't look too happy with her all the time, but it was never my place to control who you're with."

"I guess it was something I needed to figure out on my own."

"Yeah, honey. That's how relationships usually work. You experience it and learn from it."

"But that's not what I really wanted to say, mom."

Jason's mom turned off the stove and took a seat at the dining table next to Jason. "I know."

"I can't think of something you don't know," Jason laughed softly before his laugh faltered and anxiety dawned on him again. "I didn't break it off with Piper just because she didn't feel right. But I just don't think I see myself being with a girl anymore."

Jason's mom stared right at him with her piercing blue eyes, a reflection of Thalia's image. "Do you maybe see yourself with someone who wasn't a girl?"

Jason thought about it for a moment. Can he see himself with someone who wasn't a girl. A boy? Percy.

"I think so," Jason said softly, looking down at his hands.

"Anyone particular in mind?" She asked slowly.

Jason was about to answer when he heard Thalia and Percy in the living room about to enter the kitchen. He shot his mom a look saying "Talk more later" and just hoped she understood.

Dinner was rather normal. Jason found himself constantly staring at Percy. Not even glancing, just staring, like he was a new football or something. He watched Percy actually enjoy his meals since he got to the Grace home. Jason knew Percy hadn't enjoyed his meals so much since his mother passed. He loved when his mom asked how everyone's day was. Thalia would usually go first, complaining about all the snobby girls, but lately she's been talking about a certain black haired Puerto Rican girl named Reyna. Jason usually talked about what he learned or any games he had coming up. When it was Percy's turn though, Jason listened to every word. He would talk about his therapy sessions, his new job or how he's feeling. He would talk about things he's realized for the better and how he wants to do better. Jason's mom always made sure to check in on Percy's feeling because he has a tendency of hiding anything negative emotions. Jason's mother reminds him and Thalia the importance of checking on others emotions.

Percy made eye contact with Jason a few times during dinner. He would get flustered and his cheeks would turn pink, but he would give Jason a small smile anyways. Jason returned the smile, making sure his eyes met Percy's so he could see his adoration for him.

After dinner, Jason was put on kitchen duty. Ew, kitchen duty. There is nothing Jason hated more than washing dishes. He would rather clean the bathroom than wash dishes. After everyone left, he found himself lost in his own thoughts while cleaning up.

Before dinner, Jason had seen Percy staring at the picture of him and his mother earlier. Percy had brushed it off and said he was fine but Jason wanted to ask about the memory behind the picture, like how Percy talked about all the memories from the box of pictures they went to collect from his old apartment together. Percy showed Jason pictures of his mother and him making blue cookies - unique color but they looked oddly appetizing. He showed Jason a picture of them at a lake house together, but that picture looked like it was ripped down the middle. His father was probably ripped out of that one too, but Percy never seemed to talk about him. There were a lot more pictures Jason saw with Percy and he loved to see Percy's personality shape into the ecstatic, optimistic boy he used to be and Jason was glad to be apart of it.

As much as Jason loved to see Percy grow into his own skin, he knew he didn't want to be the reason Percy has a set back. Jason knew he had feelings for Percy, but he didn't quite know how to explain it yet, not to his mom, Thalia or even himself. It just felt so new. Jason wondered if he was ever into girls. He didn't think so, and the relationship or whatever you want to call what he had with Piper was more of a popularity thing. Two popular kids getting together - usual a couple stuff in high school.

No, Jason realized he is gay. He really cares for Percy, maybe even feels more than "liking" him. Dare he say he loves Percy? Would that be too quick considering he hasn't even told Percy he's indefinitely gay? Maybe.

Maybe not.

Jason sighed as he dried the last plate and placed it in the cupboard. He was about to call it a night and go study or something. Maybe just spend time with Percy. But then the doorbell rang. Jason glanced at the clock, 8:01PM.

"Honey, was that the doorbell?" His mom asked walking down the hall. The doorbell rang once more and she started to walk towards the door, Jason following behind her in case it was someone crazy or something.

"Yeah, are you expecting anyone?"

"Possibly," she sighed.

Jason was as confused as ever and was going to question his mom further, but she unlocked the locks and opened the door slowly, as if preparing herself for what was on the other side. Had she been expecting someone?

When the door opened, a tall tanned skin man stood there wearing black distressed jeans, a black sweatshirt with BAHAMAS written on it and black Converse high tops. Looking at his face though, Jason would've probably dropped a glass of water if he had one in hand.

The man was a spitting resemblance of his newly found love interest Percy. Jason would recognize that combination of tousled raven black hair and sea green eyes anywhere. The man was a spitting image of Percy, which only meant one thing.

"Poseidon," Jason's mom sighed. "I didn't think I would be seeing you again."

The man took in a deep breath as a chilly gust of wind blew outside, a smell of salty ocean beach air flowing into the house, like fresh coastal air on a hot summer day at the beach. "Beryl, where's Perseus? I had no idea about Gabe or Sally. I went to Grover's mother, but she said he was here."

"Poseidon, you left him years ago."

"You know Sally and I were divorced. I heard she remarried, I saw it online. But then I stopped seeing her on Facebook, she didn't return texts and she stopped collecting the checks I sent for Percy. I thought she had cut off all ties with me."

Beryl looked absolutely confused. Her eyebrows furrowed and she crossed her arms over her chest. "She told me you stopped communication with her?"

Poseidon sniffled, his nose red from the gusty night wind. "I never stopped."

Jason was standing beside his mom absolutely speechless. Percy's father? Here? Now? As far as Jason knew, he had abandoned Percy and his mother years ago. But now he's here at the Grace's doorstep claiming to be some honorable man? However, who is Jason to judge this man without knowing nothing about him. It's not like anyone talked about him or that Percy knew much about him either. The man was a stranger.

"Please," Jason's mom said, "come inside and we can talk. It's cold to be out there."

"And Percy?" Poised on asked, walking in and taking off his shoes.

"I - I can't promise he'll be happy about this." She turned to Jason. "Can you and Thalia please get Percy?"