JASON

Grover looked up at Jason. Jason noticed he looked confused. He's never really talked to Grover before besides in geometry class. But he just wanted to ask Grover something, thinking it'll ease his concerns.

"Ask me what?" Grover said curiously.

Jason hesitated before answering, "Is Percy okay? I went to the hospital with Thalia to visit Percy and he didn't look too well." Is it my place to ask this?

Grover's face grew a little sad. "I don't know man. Thalia told me about the hospital visit and I asked Percy what happened. He told me he fell."

"Did you believe it?"

"No man, I know it's a lie." Then Grover made direct eye contact with Jason. Jason can feel him digging into his soul and he knew why. Grover can't understand why Jason cared enough to ask. "Why are you asking Jason? I've never even seen you talk to Percy."

Jason opened his mouth to reply, but nothing came out. What was he supposed to say? That he thinks someone is hurting Percy? That he wants to help Percy? Talk to him? Maybe dig into his life?

Jason opened his mouth again and something finally came out, "I drove him home from the hospital because it was cold. I touched his wrist and he looked like it hurt. Plus those injuries weren't from a fall either. Thalia has this theory that -"

Then the bell rang for first period.

Grover stared at Jason's face for a while before saying "I've known Percy for a long time and sometimes he's smiling but sometimes he has his days. He's had it rough."

                                                                                ♡♡♡

Jason didn't see Percy again between classes, but he wondered if he would be at the school's pool again after school. That would probably be the only place where Jason can ask Percy what really happened. But Jason wasn't too sure Percy would even tell him if he didn't tell Thalia and Grover.

Jason walked through the doors of the swimming room and slowly scanned the room to see if he can spot the raven haired boy, and he did. But, he was doing the complete opposite of what Jason thought he would be doing. Percy was just sitting there on the ledge of the pool with his feet inside and blue jeans rolled up. Jason expected to see Percy swimming lap after lap, but he was just sitting there. Jason debated if this was a sign Percy wanted to be alone or he needed company. He wouldn't want to intrude Percy's space but he doesn't want him to feel alone either.

Jason decided to approach him anyways.

"Hey Percy, mind if I sit next to you?"

Percy looked up at him and simply said, "No."

Jason took off his sneakers and socks and stuck his feet in the water like Percy. He looked over at Percy and he didn't seem to know who he was looking at. Percy looked pale, scrawny. His eyes didn't look bright and the bags under his eyes looked like they had bags. Percy simply looked exhausted. But Jason didn't know what to say. He couldn't just ask "are you okay" because it is beyond obvious Percy isn't the slightest bit of okay. Jason's mind was racing with a million ways to at least try and ask what was going on, if he's okay, if there is anything he can do to help, but Percy broke the silence between them.

"Do you come to the pool to clear your head too?"

Jason laughed softly. "No, Im lucky I even remember how to swim. I don't even know how you can be so good at swimming."

Percy kicked his feet slowly in the water and said, "My mom taught me. We used to go to the beach a lot in the summer and on winter breaks we would go somewhere warmer so we can go to the beach even more."

"You don't do that anymore?"

"No", Percy sighed. "I haven't gone to the beach in years."

Jason looked at Percy while he kicked his feet around in the water, seeming to be lost in some kind of daze. "Why not?"

"My mom can't make it anymore."

"Is she too busy?"

"No, she's dead."

 And just like that, Jason's mind went blank. Did he really just ask if she's too busy? He felt so inconsiderate, so dumb for asking. Jason couldn't imagine a world without his mom, and knowing Percy has to live in a world without his, Jason couldn't even understand how alone Percy felt.

"How did she die?" Jason asked softly, looking down at his hands, not being able to make contact with Percy's sad eyes.

"She had leukemia and she just didn't have a lot of time left so I spent a lot of time with her at the hospital when I was 14. Things are so much harder without her."

"Like what?" Jason knew he probably had no business asking that, but he felt as though Percy was slowly opening up and this is what Jason thought he needed. And Jason looked up at Percy, eagerly waiting for him to answer the question. Jason stared at Percy's jawline until Percy turned, looking Jason seriously in his face. He saw Percy purse his lips together like he was about to say something.

Percy opened his mouth to speak, only to close it again and stare into Jason's eyes deeply before finally saying, "Home isn't the same without her."

Before Jason could even ask what about home isn't the same?, Percy said he had to go. He got up so quick and gathered his things that Jason didn't even have the chance to grab his arm and continue their conversation.

Jason thought back to what Thalia said about thinking someone is hurting Percy and Percy saying how home isn't the same anymore and then it clicked.

♡♡♡

Did I just update my fanfic after three years?

Yes, yes I did. enjoy xx.