The fate of the magical world

The rest of the trip had been quiet

The rest of the trip had been quiet. The Pevensies and the Browning girl followed Mr. Beaver through the woods. The children struggled to keep up as they climbed down a particularly steep cliff.

"Come on. We don't want to be caught out here after nightfall," Mr. Beaver commented wisely.

They continued traveling when they finally reached a bridge. That's when the children finally saw a small and cozy dam in the middle of a frozen pool. Smoke rose from the chimney indicating there was another creature habitating said dam.

"Ah, blimey! Looks like the old girl has got the kettle on. Nice cup o' Rosy Lee," Mr. Beaver said, satisfied.

"It's lovely," Lucy complimented Mr. Beaver.

"It's merely a trifle. Still plenty to do. Ain't quite finished it yet," Mr. Beaver said humbly, "It'll look the business when it is, though."

There was a female Beaver recollecting wood. She huffed when she heard her husband's voice.

"Beaver, is that you? I've been worried sick! If I find you've been out with Badger again I.. Oh!" Mrs. Beaver reprimanded.

Her small beady eyes widened when she noticed the presence of five humans.

"Well, those aren't badgers. Oh, I never thought I'd live to see this day, she exclaimed. Then turned to glare at her husband. "Look at my fur. You couldn't give me a ten minutes warning?"

Mr. Beaver chuckled good naturally.

"I'd have given a week if I thought it would've helped," He teased his wife.

Rory and Peter shared an amused glance at the sight of the marital playful spat.

"Oh, come inside, and see if we can't get you some food, and some civilized company.," Mrs. Beaver said motherly. She opened the door making her way to prepare a good meal for the kids. Peter helped Rory and his sisters step into the dam before following them. Mr. Beaver chuckles at his wife's comments as the children step in.

Edmund was the only one who stayed behind. He was still thinking about the Queen. He looked over at the two hills that Jadis had pointed out to him on their first meeting.

"Enjoyin' the scenery, are we?" Mr. Beaver asked.

Edmund shook off that comment, & entered the dam, joining the rest of his siblings and Rory. Mr. Beaver followed him and closed the dam's door.

Inside, Mr. Beaver offered them a warm cup of tea to each of them. Everyone accepted , except Edmund who was sitting close to the door. Rory, Peter, Susan, Lucy and Mr. Beaver were sitting around the small round table in the kitchen. Mrs. Beaver was busy in the kitchen preparing the best meal to offer to her guests.

Everyone was quietly drinking their tea. It was obvious that the urgency felt before in the woods had dissipated and exhaustion had settled. Rory took a sip of her cup of tea and winced. It was much too bitter for her taste. Peter noticed and poured a bit of milk and honey into her cup. Rory grinned gratefully as she took a sip.