Our Maleficent meets our princess

When Rory woke up next morning in her shared tent, she realized Lucy was gone

When Rory woke up next morning in her shared tent, she realized Lucy was gone. The Browning girl immediately jumped from the bed, looking for her boots. She must have tossed them somewhere on the tent after yesterday's celebrations. Wait... a bed, a tent, boots instead of her old mary jane shoes. She was in Aslan's camp. Lucy was probably with Peter or the Beavers or with some of the more than hundred Narnian warriors in the camp.

Rory tossed her books back to her place and made it back to her bed. She sat down debating whether she should or should not fall asleep again. There were no crazy dreams interrupting her sleep last night and there was no Mrs. Macready to wake her.... but there could be an angry Siofra.

Once again, she stood from her bed but this time dragging her feet slowly. She went towards her wooden trunk, which Siofra had kindly filled in with clothes for her. She pulled a tunic and a skirt before realizing she was not really alone. Susan was on the vanity, brushing her hair and watching her with amusement. Rory blushed in embarrassment, Susan had just watched her had a momentary memory loss and made a fool of herself.

"Hi Rory," She greeted with a small smile.

"Good morning," Rory said politely but with a bit of wariness. Susan never began their conversations. In fact, they never engaged personally unless there was someone else as a buffer; usually Peter and Lucy. Even then their conversations went from polite to defensive in a matter of seconds.

"Alsan says Edmund will be back today," Susan informed her with glee. Clearly she was happy her little brother was returning, "Are you coming?"

Rory nearly dropped her clothes. Susan was the first person to remind her she was just meddling in family business. Sure the older Pevensie girl had been kinder since she had rescued Lucy but still. After careful consideration, Rory decided not to take any chances.

"Thank you Susan for the invitation," the Browning girl said, "But I really don't want to intrude in a family reunion. I'll catch up with Edmund later. "

Susan sigh dropped her hairbrush on the vanity.

"I am sorry, Rory," The Pevensie girl said without beating the bush, taking the Browning girl by surprise.

Susan shifted, clearly uncomfortable but undeterred from her mission.

"I was quite rude to you since we arrived at the Professor's house and even more during this whole trip. I judged you based on Macready's comments and that was unfair. You saved Lucy, and you are a good influence on Peter. Even Edmund likes you. I should have trusted my siblings' opinion rather than a housekeeper's who even I think is a pain in the arse."

Rory was stunned. She studied Susan's tense posture, the Pevensie girl was clearly having a hard time swallowing her pride but her eyes were sincere.

"Don't worry about it," Rory shrugged off.

"But really..." Susan said, astonished for the quick forgiveness.

"Really, don't worry," Rory smiled, " I think I didn't make it any easier on you. I never know when to keep my mouth shut."