One step farther away from death

The children looked at the river all with different expressions of fear

The children looked at the river all with different expressions of fear. The river was quickly breaking into chunks of ice, floating away on the fast current. The frozen waterfall looms on their left and it too looks ready to collapse at any given moment. Peter assessed the situation trying to look for possible solutions but Rory shook her head. They shared a look in realization: The only way out was to cross.

Peter held Lucy's hand, who grabbed Rory's, and started to climb down but Susan grabbed his arm. Peter faced his sister, annoyed.

"We need to cross, now!" Peter exclaimed with urgency.

"Don't beavers make dams?" Lucy asked desperately.

"I'm not that fast, dear," Mrs. Beaver said.

Peter urged the group to go forward but Susan once again stopped him. The blonde nearly rolled his eyes.

"Wait! Will you just think about this for a minute?" The eldest Pevensie girl asked.

" We don't have a minute," Peter reminded her, not so gently, as he gestured to the river.

"I'm just trying to be realistic," Susan said, a little hurt.

"No, you're trying to be smart." Peter snapped, " As usual."

"We don't have time for this," Rory interrupted, annoyed and tugged Peter down, "Settle your differences when we are not nearly dying."

The group began climbing down, ready to cross the river , Peter, Lucy and Rory taking the lead. Susan looked ready to stay but the howl of the wolves in the distance changed her mind. She began climbing down and joined the rest of the group.

Rory was the first to walk into the river followed by Peter and Lucy. Rory had just taken her second step when water spurted up from under the ice. Peter grabbed Rory's arm and tugged her back where he and Lucy were standing in an effort to protect her.

"Wait! Maybe I should go first," Mr. Beaver volunteered.

"Maybe you should," Peter agreed.

Mr Beaver took the lead and began testing out the ice with his feet and tail, trying to find the strongest passage. When the ice started cracking, Mrs. Beaver nearly turned feral.

"You've been sneaking second helpings, haven't you?" His wife accused him.

"Well, you never know which meal's gonna be your last," Mr. Beaver shrugged, " Especially with your cooking."

The children followed Mr Beaver across the ice being careful and mindful of where they were stepping on.

"If Mum knew what we were doing..." Susan complained.

" Mum's not here" Peter snarked.

" Oh, no!" Lucy trembled.

Lucy's warning made everyone notice the wolves running across the top of the frozen waterfall to the other side of the river. Rory cursed under her breath, this was it. This was how they were going to die.