Midnight Conversations (Reprise)

Mr

Mr. Beaver had decided to settle a camp here. Peter had disagreed saying that it would be the first place to look for once they found out the Fox had deceived him. The fox in his weakened state, had assured him that it would take the entire night before the wolves figured it out on their own.

Peter had not complained after that. The fox had saved his sisters and Rory's life, the least he could do was trust him again. So Peter , Susan, Lucy and Mr. Beaver left to recollect woods and branches for a fire. Mrs. Beaver  tended the Fox's wounds with Rory as her dutiful assistant. The Browning girl took this as a first lesson in stride. It was a valuable skill she lacked until now and judging by how bumpy their journey seemed, she would end up using again.

Once the Pevensies and Mr. Beaver returned, they built up and lit a fire. The Pevensies sat around the fire on confortable logs that Lucy had found.  Rory and Mrs. Beaver tried to step closer to the fire, surely a bit of warmth would make the  injured fox feel better. Mrs Beaver damped a small rag with alcohol and attempted to clean the fox's wound.

"They were helping Tumnus," The fox explained weakly, "The Witch got here before I did. Ow! Oh!"

The creature yelped and squirmed away when the alcohol touched his wound.

"Are you all right?" Lucy asked in concern.

"Well, I wish I could say their bark was worse than their bite," The fox said ruefully before yelping again. This time it had been Rory who had tried to clean the wound.

"Stop squirming!" Mrs Beaver ordered, "You're worse than Beaver on bath day!"

"Worst day of the year," Mr. Beaver said, trying to light up the situation.

Susan and Lucy giggled at his comment. Mrs. Beaver had finally managed to clean the wound. Rory handed her a bandage to Mrs. Beaver but the Fox shook his head. He stood up weakly but determined.

"Thank you for your kindness," the Fox said gratefully, "But that's all the cure I have time for."

"You're leaving?" Lucy said in disbelief.

" It has been a pleasure, My Queen, and an honor, but time is short and Aslan himself has asked me to gather more troops," The fox said as he bowed.

"You've seen Aslan?" Mr. Beaver inquired in awe.

"What's he like?" Mrs. Beaver questioned excitedly.

"Like everything we've ever heard," The Fox smiled. He then turned to the Pevensie siblings who were watching him curiously.

"You'll be glad to have him by your side in the battle against the Witch," The fox told his future monarchs.

The older Pevensies shared one look of panic. They were just kids, how in the hell were they supposed to fight a witch. Rory, on the other hand,  tried to make herself scarce. This didn't involve her, so instead she decided to count trees.