The aftermath

Peter was awoken by the wind, the wind in turn seemed to be rearranging into petals

Peter was awoken by the wind, the wind in turn seemed to be rearranging into petals. He didn't even have time to process his dream out of fear of the strange creature in his tent. He drew his sword threateningly and the movement startled Edmund. Peter wakes up and draws

The younger Pevensie was just as confused and scared as his older brother. He walked right next to his brother, feeling protected by his close proximity. Finally, all petals rearranged themself into the form of a Dryad.

"Be still, my Princes." The Dryad said, "I bring grave news from your sisters."

Peter's body felt like lead at the Dryad's news. His entire body was frozen in disbelief and utter fear. He could hear Edmund frantically calling his name but it felt distant.  With strength he wasn't quite where he got, he stood up from his bed. His legs nearly gave out but he was determined to see for himself.  He was aware Edmund was following him but Peter was a man on a mission.

His first stop was the girl's tent. He opened the flaps of the tent desperately only to find it empty. Lucy's and Susan's beds were unmade, the sheets all sprawled over the place but Rory's bed remained untouched.  Peter let out a strangled sound, mournful and solemn. Edmund had just caught up with him but Peter was already leaving heading straight into Aslan's tent.

He hoped that perhaps the Dryad was wrong. Rory was fine. She and Aslan were all in Aslan's tent, discussing battle plans, magic or whatever girls and talking animals talked about in their spare time. Lucy and Susan just saw another girl and Lion that looked just like them. Of course, Peter knew he was deluding himself when he opened Aslan's tent with shaky hands. He swallowed hard when he saw the confirmation in the empty and dark tent.

Peter's vision was blurry, and he blinked rapidly to avoid the tears threatening to fall. How could this ever happen?  Aslan was supposed to protect them and lead them to victory. He was supposed to help him protect his family, his Rory. This isn't a fairytale, Peter. Even if the setting is perfect for one. I don't need you. That's what she had told him hours ago after he swore that together they could accomplish anything. His throat constricted tightly and once again he felt his eyes water. Rory had known. That's why she had been so harsh with him, she was in her own way trying to anger him so he wouldn't grieve her when the time comes. Silly girl, didn't she know he was a goner since he caught a glimpse of her?

Peter was about to lose the fight and allow himself to grieve when he remembered that now he was responsible for the Narnians, and he still had a family to protect. The blonde boy fisted his hands, reminding himself to breathe.  He schooled his features in what he hoped was a neutral expression instead and walked towards the military tent. Oreius and Edmund were waiting for him  beside a table covered in battle plans. Edmund's shoulder's sagged when he saw Peter. He didn't need to verbalize it, his vacant eyes gave him away.

"She's right," Peter said in a surprisingly even tone, " They are gone."

The tension in the room, which was already high, spiraled to its highest peak. Peter was still trying to come to terms with the revelation that Rory was gone. Oeirus was shocked, not wanting to believe that his king and leader was dead. Surprisingly, Edmund was the first one to react. He placed a comforting hand on his brother's shoulder. Peter tensed slightly but relaxed when he saw it was Edmund.