Eternal Slumber

Lucy knew something was terribly wrong the moment Peter stormed back from the woods

Lucy knew something was terribly wrong the moment Peter stormed back from the woods. His face was flushed, the way he usually did when he was furious or when he felt insulted.  She shared concerned looks with Susan and Edmund, who were just as surprised by Peter's foul temper.

"What happened?" Lucy asked concerned, "Where is Rory?"

Peter clenched his jaw tightly. Every single part of his body was tense and the veins in his neck were throbbing furiously.

"In the woods," Peter fumed, "And she wants to be left alone. She wants no one's help."

He didn't bother to elaborate on that and dove directly to his tent, furiously closing the flaps. The remaining siblings all stared at each other in disbelief. Edmund was the first to break the silence, whistling at his brother's dramatic ass.

"That went well, " Edmund remarked sarcastically.

Lucy snorted while Susan began scolding Edmund for his "inappropriate use of humor."

"I'm just saying what we are all thinking," Edmund defended himself, raising his arms in surrender. " I do wonder what happened there. I thought Peter was going to confess his feelings to Rory. Guess I was wrong."

"What?" Susan asked, shocked.

"Oh Susan," Lucy said, "They've been dancing on their feelings the entire journey. I really can't believe he waited this long."

"But Rory reciprocates those feelings," Susan replied confused. Even during her stubborn crusade against Rory, she was able to notice that there was a mutual interest between her brother and the Browning girl.  Why would he be angry after finding out the girl he likes fancies him back?

"My money is that Peter made an idiot of himself," Edmund added, "He has no romantic bone in his body."

Lucy frowned. After the witch and Aslan had discussed Edmund's fate,  Aslan had announced Edmund's pardon with a hint of sadness and regret but Rory had never left the tent. Peter had noticed Rory's absence too and had asked the great lion about it. He had responded that the princess was not feeling well. Peter wanted to insist but Aslan was a king, he really couldn't argue with a superior.

"I think something horrible happened," Lucy commented quietly, "And it had to do with the witch."

The other two Pevensies stilled in fear. One remembering his time in captivity, the other one remembering how she had nearly lost her sibling. The grave silence was interrupted by one of the conversation subjects.

"I am not deaf," Peter hollered from the inside of the tent, his voice slightly scratchy. As if he had been crying.  " Leave it alone!"

And so the siblings dropped the conversation, for their brother's sake. They went back to eating their dinner in silence and eventually they went to their tents for sleep. Or well everyone did, except for Lucy. She was tossing and turning in her bed unable to rest. Her mind was trying to piece everything together: Aslan's sadness, Rory's absence, Peter's anger. She  suddenly noticed Aslan's shadow walking past her tent. Unable to stop herself, she jumped out of her bed.  The youngest Pevensie strapped her boots and left the tent quickly.