Chapter 20: Missed Opportunities and Childhood memories

23rd May 2021 - Monaco GP

The Monaco Grand Prix was regarded to be the fanciest and one of the most exciting races of the season.

Well, Kit wasn't feeling very excited nor fancy. Her sprained wrist meant she wasn't allowed to participate in the race (in fear of her injury becoming worse) and Nicholas Latifi would be replacing her this weekend.

As much as she wanted to stay in bed, Kit did still have to show up at the racetrack. Media duties apparently still existed even when you weren't racing.

She rolled on her side, grabbing her glasses and putting them on before getting up. Kit walked over to her suit case and fumbled through it trying to find her work clothes. She really should have laid them out last night but then again when does she ever do that.

She quickly found the last item she needed (which was her socks) and turned to look back at the bed. Pierre seemed to still be fast asleep which gave Kit an opportunity to use the shower first.

Once Kit had showered, She gently woke Pierre up. When he was awake or at least awake enough that he wouldn't fall back asleep again, Kit headed out to the Kitchen. It was there that Kit caught Charles on a phone call that he was undeniably frustrated about.

"What do you mean?" He asked, running a hand through his hair.

Kit leaned on the counter next to the kettle, not turning it on though, in favour of not scaring Charles.

"Okay thank you. Thank you to the team, I'll see you later." Charles said ending the phone call and my god he looked so sad.

"Fuck!" He snapped throwing his phone onto the couch. He gripped his hair tightly before he started pacing the living room.

"Charles?" Kit said softly and his head snapped up. He stared at her for a few seconds before shaking his head.

"Hi Kit, you saw that didn't you?" Charles asked nervously, pausing his pacing.

"uh yeah, are you okay?" Kit was genuinely concerned Charles wasn't the type of guy to get fazed by things often.

"No." Charles sighed, "I fucked up massively yesterday and broke the gearbox, so I can't race."

Kit was slightly shocked by this info, she knew he had crashed in qualifying but she didn't know it was that bad.

"It's my home race and I was meant to be starting Pole, guess the Monaco curse is a real thing." Charles laughed but it was a bitter sound.

"Well this isn't any condolences but at least we can be sad together, I'm not racing either." Kit told him.

A small smile grew on his face, "maybe we could convince Pierre to not race either."

"What!" Pierre exclaimed, poking his head out of the guest room. "Calamar just because your not racing, who says I can't."

"Right, Sorry." Charles turned serious before they all burst out laughing.

Kit was glad they could take Charles' mind off his DNS even if it was only for a few minutes.

After Charles had told Pierre about his misfortune they preceded to finish getting ready to head to the track.

They decided to walk to the track as Charles' only lived a few minutes away. Unfortunately they underestimated how many fans were roaming the streets and quickly got surrounded.

It then took then longer than it should've to reach the circuit as they were taking photos and signing autographs along the way.

After checking in Kit left the boys first with a wave, as Williams were at the start of the Pitlane.