Chapter 13

Ever since that awkward conversation we had, I decided to keep a safe distance from Haris.

I don't need anyone to try and analyze me.

I also don't need anyone to sit there and pity me.

I have goals in life and I intend to accomplish them.

I check my Snapchat and see that Adam posted a story. I decide to click on it and I see a video of Zack and Adam.

They're in the locker room doing some weird tik tok dance.

Ew.

They literally still think they're my age.

I swipe up and write "not you posting this at your prehistoric age."

He immediately pops into the chat.

What a boomer.

"Shut up you little sh*t."

Sigh good ole Adam.

He hasn't changed a single bit.

I type back "Love you" with the vomit emoji and send it.

There's this Arab American festival that happens every year on this day and I go every year of course.

My family is a huge part of the event and they're responsible for a lot of the fundraising, and organization aspects of it.

Currently Layla, Sophie, my mom, and I are all shopping for the event.

We're going to be there all day and none of us have an outfit for the occasion.

(We do everything last minute it's bad).

Honestly if it were up to me I'd just wear sweats and a hoodie.

I unfortunately can't unless I want to get slaughtered by my mother.

She always talks about how all her friends come there and that so many people we know show up to the event blah blah.

I could care less.

In fact this whole event is bs.

I don't feel like seeing a bunch of middle aged women being judgmental, and their disgusting moe money sons trying to get some kitty meow meow.

"Habibti what do you think of this?" My mom says and I look over and she makes a face, "I am not talking to you I'm talking to Sophie."

I roll my eyes and Sophie looks at the dress.

Whatever I don't want that dress anyways. It looks like a clown outfit.

"Ew mom what is this clown outfit?" I hear her say and I giggle.

Great minds think alike.

"What do you mean? This is so cute all the girls in Lebanon are wearing this style these days." She says as she examines the dress.

"What girls? The ones in the village?" I say and Sophie snorts.

"What's wrong with villages? Watch your mouth." My mom snaps and I roll my eyes. Whatever you say.

I look through the collection of abayas in front of me and pick out a dark gray one.

"I think I'll wear this to the event." I have a matching bag at home that would go well with it.

"That's cute good choice." Mama says as she digs in her bag she takes out her card and tells me to go to the register and pay for it.

***
While I managed to find an outfit in no time, my sister and sister in law oh and mother took FOREVER.