Sorry.

We got to Susie a week later, but he got her first. 

The ink black grin on the wall trails down to the mangled body below. If she were human, it'd be red. 

Hiding out here in a farmhouse on the New York border, she probably thought she'd be safe. 

The blades of grass rustle in the icy wind outside. 

She should have been safe. 

My hands are shaking around the handle of the gun. Shadows shift behind me and my pulse jerks like a chain around my neck. For a moment I swear I can see razor sharp fangs all twisted up in a monstrous grin. 

Then I blink away tears I didn't realise were there, and it's gone. 

My brain is messed up. 

I stick my hands under my armpits. Paranoid, I survey the rafters. 

They creak under the burden of the ancient roof and a length of ratty rope flicks around a beam like a tail. 

Sammy stands in a low wooden doorway flecked by crackled white paint. "The blood is dry. He must've gotten here days ago." the cultist mutters. 

The sharp gun metal glints in his hand as he reloads his own. 

The house howls around us, the air screeching and clawing through the old floors and walls. 

I inhale the sharp frozen air. This house is filled with more than one maimed being. 

Dogs are cut open on the kitchen table downstairs. 

Their ribcages cut open with rusty saws and their hearts removed. Blood paints the floor. 

A brunet famer is in the closet. His eyes are gouged out and blood runs his face like tears. 

"I'm sorry I couldn't save you Susie." I whisper into the pungent dimness. 

 ... 

.. 

"I am so, so sorry."