𝐈𝐈

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐃𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐋𝐌

| 261 𝐀𝐂, 𝐊𝐢𝐧𝐠'𝐬 𝐋𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠

"Your Highness?" The kingsguard whispered, checking underneath the small council's table. His gleaming white cloak flitted around him as he climbed to his feet. His dark eyes pored over the sacred room and Ser Barristan Selmy ran a hand through his hair.

The day had started off simply enough with one job: look after Princess Naerys while princess Rhaella attended tea and Prince Aerys went hunting with Steffon and Tywin. The simplest job for the newest member of the Kingsguard.

And he was failing it.

Earlier that morning when he thought to 'introduce himself' to the little princess after her feeding time, he was pleasantly surprised to find her playing with a few toys and a dragon egg which often served as some sort of mounted defense. What's more because she was doing more than any ordinary child her age would do: attempting to crawl, speak and eagerly explore the world beyond her cradle.

He should have paid more attention to the last part, he soon realized, for the moment he took his eyes off her she was gone. But her precious egg remained, and in the short time he'd began his role he knew for a fact the princess cherished that egg.

And so began his lengthy search.

Ser Barristan Selmy was a humble young man whose demeanour demanded respect, and that is without the armour. With it plus a sword, no one dared raise a finger or make calumny about him.

So when passing maidens found him bending over tiny benches, into nooks and crannies, whispering as if calling for a cat and cursing under his breath as he wondered the Keep like a headless chicken, they were barely able to hold back a laugh nor a smile. Fellow members of the kingsguard, the ones that remained behind, pitied the lad for they knew all too well the task of taking care of the little princess. Little, indeed, but very clever and very quick, her size making it easier for her to disappear. All of them had had their fair share of taking care of her and any one of them would tell you they'd prefer a day in battle before being outwitted and humiliated by a tiny dragon not even two namedays old. The last one to find her was the White Bull, and he found her under the Weirwood Tree in the palace gardens.

Now, Ser Barristan had gone through the Maidenvault, Maegor's Holdfast, the kitchens, the gardens, the throne room. He even checked the kennels but there was no sign of her. His next destination was the training yard where, early in the morning, many a Knight and squire were training. The sound of splintering wood and ringing swords reached his ears before he got to the place, and the moment he stepped into the yard he caught an unmistakable white tuft of hair bouncing on the shoulders of a brown-haired squire.