𝐕

𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐊𝐒 𝐎𝐅 𝐖𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐅𝐄𝐋𝐋

|270 𝐀𝐂, 𝐊𝐢𝐧𝐠'𝐬 𝐋𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠

The last Targaryen to travel North was Good Queen Alysanne on her dragon, Silverwing. It was part of the annual procession through the Seven kingdoms, a tradition started by Aegon the Dragon to maintain the love and trust of his people. The Good Queen's Royal procession was the best in history and the most memorable, especially for her women's courts, and the mead and mirth and joyous grins that followed her from the Mander to the Wall.

Naerys was not the Good Queen. There was no mirth, no celebrations, and there certainly were no joyous grins.

Her fate was sealed when Aerys summoned her to the throne room after supper and had her personally escorted there by Ser Gerold. She held her head high and maintained a calm composure, but within a storm of panic and anxiety raged. There was no denying the king knew of her actions, otherwise why summon her and her alone?

She didn't know what to expect. She was scared, yes, but there was no running from the fear so she faced it, stared it down as the doors groaned before her and the dark sockets of dead dragons seemed to follow her as she approached the very thing they guarded day and night.

Naerys had seen her father on the Iron Throne many times when he held court, but that was standing by his side with the rest of her family. Now, looking up at him on that great monstrosity made her understand why people drooled after that seat. Looking up at him, she did not see Aerys Targaryen, her father, but Aerys Targaryen, Second of his name, King of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Protector of the Realm and Lord of the Seven Kingdoms.

And she knew she'd messed up.

She bowed before his throne, rising only when told to. Then Ser Gerold was dismissed and she wished she could go with him or he could stay but at this moment she could hardly even meet her father's eyes let alone move or speak.

"I don't need to explain to you why you're here," Aerys said, his voice echoing off the cavernous walls of the throne room. "But I do want you to tell me why you did what you did."

She at last met his eyes and found nothing there. Not anger, not warmth. Just the steely gaze of a king.

"I want to learn how to fight," she told him. Her voice did not waver and for that she was thankful. "I want to learn how to wield a sword like any other man."

"Yet you are not any other man. You are not even an ordinary lady, Naerys. You are the blood of the dragon and dragons do not beg. They rise above their lessers and seize what is their's. How do you think Aegon the Conqueror molded Seven squabbling kingdoms into one? By asking nicely? No, he took the crowns of craven men and forged a throne of fire and blood.