𝐗𝐗𝐕

𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐒 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐖𝐎𝐋𝐕𝐄𝐒

𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐒 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐖𝐎𝐋𝐕𝐄𝐒

•|°

282 𝐀𝐂, 𝐓𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐫 𝐎𝐟 J𝐨𝐲

Arthur unclipped Lyanna's maidencloak, his fingers delicately brushing the skin of her neck as he did. Handing it over to Oswell, he took his cloak. It was coloured in the varying shades of purple, lavender and white, the falling star of House Dayne embroidered on its back. He wrapped it around her shoulders, engulfing her small frame in its soft embrace.

Lyanna turned around and looked up at him, unbridled love dancing in her orbs.

"In the sight of the Seven, I hereby seal these two souls, binding them as one for eternity. Look upon one another and say the words."

Arthur and Lyanna gazed into one another's eyes as they spoke the ancient words. At their completion, Arthur held the back of her head, tilting it upwards slightly, and kissed her. Oswell smiled.

Rhaegar tried to.

"Let it be known that Arthur of House Dayne and Lyanna of House Stark are one heart, one flesh, one soul. Cursed be he who would seek to tear them asunder."

Every word leaving the Septon's mouth was like a volley of arrows firing into his chest, so reminiscent were they of the union he fought for; of the wife he fought so hard to be with.

Only to leave her.

After the short ceremony, Arthur, Lyanna, Oswell and Rhaegar retreated into the tower where a small feast had been laid out for the bride, groom, and their two guests by the few servants present.

After offering them his congratulations,  Rhaegar stepped outside with a goblet and a flagon of wine. He sat down on the orange steps of sandstone, and poured his first drink. The first cup did nothing to dull the shame and guilt knawing at his insides.

He took another. Still, it did not leave him. If anything, it buried him deeper.

He flung the cup away, tossed aside the flagon, and ran his fingers through his silver tresses, the shame morphing into a heart-piercing pain that had him taking ragged breaths; for the mere thought of betraying Naerys like that

He had enough sense in him now to leave. Return to King's Landing and be with his wife and children. He'd barely been away from them a month yet he missed them terribly.

"Beautiful sky."

He looked over his shoulder. Oswell was coming down the stairs carrying a plate of food.