𝐗𝐈𝐕

𝐅𝐎𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐆𝐎𝐎𝐃 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐋𝐌

•|°

276 𝐀𝐂,
𝐂𝐚𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐥𝐲 𝐑𝐨𝐜𝐤

"Hold still. This is going to hurt."

Rhaegar winced when the cloth touched his bruised cheek. Naerys dabbed lightly before dipping her handkerchief into the bowl of water again. This time she wiped it across his bare chest, being mindful of his bandaged bicep. She set it aside and grabbed a roll of cloth, ripped it, and unwrapped the bandage. Their was a long line of exposed flesh on his upper arm. It was a surface wound, fortunately. Alas, that did not make it sting any less when she wiped the area clean with alcohol. When that was done, she covered it again with the new cloth.

"You're quiet," she pointed out.

"I always am."

"No you're not."

"I'm tired."

"You don't sound tired."

"Why the sudden interrogation?"

Naerys focused on fastening the bandage and did not meet his eye when she said, "Because you are upset."

He scoffed. "I am perfectly fine, Naerys."

"You're upset with me."

Earlier that day, as both swordsmen held their lances up to the princess, Naerys bestowed her favour upon Ser Arthur's and kissed the tip of Rhaegar's.

Some would say the touch of her lips would prove more favourable; others would say it was her favour that changed the course of the joust for Rhaegar, and the rest would claim she slighted the Silver prince. So much so that he was set in a foul mood that made him lose his focus, his balance and his lance when the Sword of the Morning splintered his shield and he fell to the ground.

Naerys was out of her seat in the blink of an eye, racing to the edge of the box as if she might jump off and run to her brother. The thousands gathered also waited with bated breath for the prince to stir. Arthur got off his horse and raced to his side. Rhaegar stirred at last and his friend helped him to his feet. Now standing, the two men raised their conjoined hands and the people thundered their approval; even more so when Arthur laid the crown in Naerys's lap. The princess thanked him graciously, then caught sight of Rhaegar, helm off, clapping with everyone else with a proud grin on his face.

But she could always tell when he wore a mask. Sometimes the corners of it frayed, due to too much use. Others, the newer ones, were shiny and quite bright, so much so that it could blind the naked eye if stared upon for too long.