𝐗𝐕𝐈

𝐓𝐀𝐊𝐄 𝐅𝐋𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓, 𝐓𝐎𝐒𝐒 𝐀 𝐂𝐎𝐈𝐍

•|°

276 𝐀𝐂, 𝐃𝐫𝐚𝐠𝐨𝐧𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐧𝐞

The sleepy island of Dragonstone came into view as light peeked over the horizon, giving colour to the cotton clouds somnambulantly grazing the sky and shimmering upon golden and dark scaled wings as they soared high above the Narrow Sea, a small flotilla of ships sailing below and behind them.

The journey from King's Landing was a long and arduous one, but well worth it.

Jon Connington is not well remembered for his smarts and strategic thinking, unlike Tywin Lannister, but the day before they took flight he was right about one thing: Naerys had connections.

However, so did the Spider.

As the princess gathered her ladies Ashara, Elia, and Myra, Varys intercepted her in one of the Keep's many hidden tunnels. She was covered under the guise of a dark cloak, yet he recognised her easily enough.

"Princess."

She scowled. "Lord Varys. What are you doing here?"

"A midnight stroll tends to clear my head." He looked her up and down, but not salaciously. "You appear to be well dressed for one yourself."

"For the city, yes."

"I am not your enemy, your highness."

"That doesn't seem to be the case from where I stand."

He tittered and folded his hands in the long sleeves of his Lyseni blue robe. "I do not wish to stop you, princess, nor could I if I wished. You are as formidable as you are fair."

"Yet somehow I do not believe you. Many a man in this court seeks only to serve themselves."

"I am not 'many men.' Some might say I am no man at all. Whichever way the bell tolls, I serve the people first. I use everything in my power to ensure they have a ruler who will put them first seated on that throne. From where I stand, it is not Cersei Lannister." Varys stepped aside. "I can only buy you time. Use it well."

She narrowed her eyes as she passed him. "This does not mean I trust you, Varys."

"I would not trust you if you did, princess."

Naerys made it out of the Red Keep, safely and unspotted.

Beneath Aegon's High Hill she found Ashara, Janna, Myra, and Elia waiting with Jon, Ser Arthur, Ser Oswell and Oberyn by three sailing vessels with blank sails.