𝐈𝐈𝐈

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐋𝐈𝐓𝐓𝐋𝐄 𝐃𝐑𝐀𝐆𝐎𝐍𝐒

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐋𝐈𝐓𝐓𝐋𝐄 𝐃𝐑𝐀𝐆𝐎𝐍𝐒

| 264 𝐀𝐂, 𝐊𝐢𝐧𝐠'𝐬 𝐋𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠

Rhaegar raised the book. "This is a wolf. Can you say 'wolf', Naerys?"

The Silver princess puckered her mouth. "Woolf."

"Close, but not quite. How about this..." He flipped the page. "Dragon. Dra-gon."

Naerys pressed her lips into a thin line.

"You didn't even try that time. Come now; Dra-gon."

She tried the word and Rhaegar applauded her effort.

"Yes! Well done. This one is my personal favourite..."

As he was flipping through the book, the little princess's eyes fell on her golden treasure seated in a bundle of cloths not too far from them. Naerys did ask for a pot of hot coals but Aerys refused at once. As a compromise, she decided to bundle it in as many sheets as possible, albeit she doubted it had the same effect.

It was a good thing, though, because she might've burned herself as she tried to stroke her egg. Her fingers brushed its cool surface before she was picked up and swivelled back to the part of the floor covered in books. Naerys huffed in annoyance, clearly more interested in the egg's gilded scales than the words her brother was trying to teach her.

"What do they feed you?" Rhaegar groaned. He put her down and picked up the book to resume reading.

It was a tome, really; a history book of the great houses of the Seven Kingdoms. He'd already read it back to front at least twice, much to everyone's chagrin, and Naerys was halfway through the book herself.

He proceeded to try and teach her new words but soon realized it was a futile pursuit as he found himself tiring of it, too. Naerys gathered their toys and they began to play until the nurse arrived to take them for their lessons with Maester Pycelle.

In all honesty, the little princess much preferred the tilt yard than the old man's musty, old odour that put her to sleep faster than any potion could. It was where she ran to these days and it is where she managed to sneak off after deceiving her nurse into thinking she needed to relieve herself.

The perks of being an explorative child was that she discovered some of the hidden passages within the Keep. Her favourite one, naturally, was the one that led her to the very place the men trained and it is the one she used now.

Upon arriving, she was relieved to find it empty. As quietly as possible, Naerys scurried across the slightly uneven ground to a line of swords on a rack. She eyed all of them in turn before a slightly smaller blade with a worn leather hilt caught her attention at the bottom. Making sure nobody was around, she picked it and was pleasantly surprised by its light weight. She started swinging it around, both fists enclosed around the hilt, and pretended to thrust it into the body of an enemy. So caught up was she in her dangerous dance that she did not notice the kingsguard steadily coming up behind her.