1 - Last Chance (Jin)

Chapter 1 – Last Chance (Jin)

-

"Shot down."

As expected.

"Again?"

"Yeah."

"For how many times already?"

My middle finger slid through the back of my notebook downward, my eyes following the tip to count the recipients listed down.

"About..." I cringed. "..eleven."

With that, I slammed my head on the table, the pair's grunts over the earthquake I had caused falling on deaf ears.

"Sucks to be you, man." This guy, I swear...

I lifted my head slightly, just enough to glare at Alex's carefree expression while he watched my best friend focusing so hard on a video game on her mobile phone.

"Yeah..." I pressed my cheek on the page of my notebook. "I can understand their reasons, though, you know? They can't help it."

He hummed, "That's true. College is giving everyone a hard time."

"Yeah, so I can understand why they don't have enough time to spare to teach a poor and failing classmate free of charge. Of course, they'd prefer resting or relaxing with their friends or hobbies during their leisure time instead of dealing with someone else. Maybe if it's their friend, they would help, though."

"Pretty sure they would."

Darting my eyes somewhere else other than the loving gaze Alexis had for my best friend that was starting to give me a stomachache, there were only the empty picnic tables rained down by leaves. Then there were students doing extracurricular activities occupying the open fields not shaded by the trees.

If only I had enough time to even spend on clubs and organizations... I would use that time to sleep because that's something I don't get enough of.

At least my family doesn't notice how often I sneak a textbook or two under the blankets in the middle of the night just to ensure specific passages in the history of the Philippines won't slip my mind.

"Uh-huh. That's why I can understand why all of them would shoot me down, you know? I can understand...." An exasperated sound came out of me, and that sure got Alex's attention with that smug snort that my ears didn't want to welcome.

"Yes, I know, Jin. I know you understand, but your face is too full of disappointment. It's starting to hurt just looking at your face."

"Rianne!" I straightened my back and pointed at my best friend. "Get your boyfriend away from me, will you?"

"I'm busy," Rianne answered without sparing a glance.

Alex burst out laughing, and I couldn't suppress another exasperated sigh.

"You're supposed to be my best friend, Rianne."

With a raised brow, Alex zoomed his face close to mine, "Dude, I'm also your best friend."

"Is that so? Who are you again? Mister..." The student ID that hung over his neck bumped my raised hand. "..Mister Alexis Manalo. I am not an Information Technology student, so how would I know anyone who takes that program?"

He pointed at Rianne, "Hey! Rianne's an IT student like me too!"

"Oh, really."

"Rianne, your best friend is bullying your boyfriend!"

Rianne's phone beeped with that tiresome victory sequence noise I've grown to dislike with the number of times it lingers in my head whenever she's around.