7 - Reasons and Rumors (Jin)

Chapter 7 – Reasons and Rumors (Jin)

-

The heat of the afternoon striking the field and the heads of every student gathered around to watch a game of volleyball was something I wasn't sure I'd get used to.

"Shane's team is winning again!" Some girl on my east squealed. "Sadly, I didn't get to watch from the starting set."

"For real! She smiled and waved in this direction before the final set, you know!" Another girl whispered. "It was specifically for that guy, I think."

Even with my gaze on the ball that flew around the court, she was definitely pointing in my direction.

"What? OMG! I can't believe I missed it!" The first girl lowered her voice. "Who is he, though? Aside from Yuri, I don't remember Shane taking notice of other guys during volleyball practice."

Yuri?

"No clue. He looks smart, though."

"More like a nerd to me."

I faked a cough, not sparing a glance anywhere else despite my eyes twitching to glare at them.

"Eek! Quiet down!"

When I took a peek, they were still whispering about me but in a hushed tone that I couldn't make out any more words.

Couldn't they just focus on the game? So what if Shane waved at me earlier? What's the big deal? I don't get it.

I took a deep breath and slid my hands into my pockets. The whistle blew, and the crowd cheers demanded my attention on the other side of the court—the winning team.

Shane wore a slightly different colored jersey with the number thirteen, probably because of her position as libero, if I remember right. It wasn't like I partook in any sports, but PE class in high school had us memorizing different sports' jargon.

Thanks to that, though, she quickly caught my attention when her team made a circle, and they roared a cheer before running to the benches.

Many students around me ran to the other side of the court along with the other players. Quite a crowd gathered around and did high-fives with players certain students might've been friends with.

Should I go there, too? Would it cause a fuss if I did?

As if it would. I'm just a regular history major who wanted to inform Shane of something.

My feet dragged me around the students and near the bench where she sat before it came over me why my approaching could cause a fuss.

A tall girl with a number five on her jersey tapped Shane's shoulder, and her head nodded in my direction. Whoever that was, she knew I was acquainted with Shane somehow. Maybe she's one of Shane's friends.

Shane's head immediately turned around, and the sparkle from her eyes, ready to shove her assumptions, got my eyebrows knitting.

Maybe I shouldn't have gone here.

That's right, but it still made no sense. I could've just waited for tomorrow, Monday, to come so I could ask her about a variable in our homework once we met. It wasn't like I was particularly bothered by the things I couldn't figure out in our task due on Friday.

But when I left the library, the librarian, for some reason, told me Shane was there. And like an ordinary curious student, I asked if she knew where Shane went next.

Actually, why did I even ask? And why did I even go here? To ask if we could do a session later for a short while when we can have one tomorrow anyway?

Maybe her weirdness rubbed on me.