5 - At Chimmy's (Jin)

Chapter 5 – At Chimmy's (Jin)

-

"Are you heading out to the shop soon?"

"In a bit, yes."

Eyes closed, the soft footsteps of my mom slowly fading away entered a new noise of water splashing against utensils.

"What time is it?" My eyes darted to my older brother, who yawned as he dragged himself to the tiny bathroom, one of his hands rubbing his curly hair.

I flipped to the other side of the wooden sofa, "You're up early, Kuya."

(Kuya is the Filipino term for Older brother, it can also be used to refer to other men who are older but not too old than you.)

"Really?"

"Yeah, it's only like 8 in the morning."

Before he could respond, if he even would, a loud yawn echoed from across our thin walls.

I swear, the people in this house often get up so early during the weekends and never on work days.

"Good morning, my wonderful siblings!" I peeked, and by the curtain acting as our door towards our bedroom stood a tall and messy-haired woman with two girls staggering behind her.

"Mowni.." The tiniest one among them, my niece, tried to say, her fingers attempting to get her half-closed eyes open.

I stood up and dropped to their level, rubbing both the younger girls' heads with a smile I couldn't suppress.

"Good morning, you two."

"Kuya Jin!" My little sister, the other girl in her teens, ran up to me for a hug. "Are you leaving soon?"

"For work, yes." She whined, but my older sister patted her head and got her to look up.

"He'll be back in the afternoon! Now, come, my siblings! And niece! Let us dine!" After that came her usual loud burst of ha-ha-ha's, which never gets old.

Dad, Tito, and Tita seem to still be asleep, but it's always so lively on the weekends when my older brother and sister don't have to go to their jobs in the market and the mall as early and come home late. Then again, my younger sister, Hannah, and I also have classes during the weekdays.

(Tito and Tita are the Filipino terms for Uncle and Auntie)

But, having noticed that these people keep working their butts off to afford my university fees, I had to take a part-time job at the very least.

I sighed. What more if they find out I'm not doing as well as my freshman year? After all the hours my older siblings and parents give just for the stupid childhood dream of this heck of a son...

I shook my head.

Maybe I should review some notes during my break time at work today. Yeah, I should do that. For Philippine Literature—to perhaps deepen my understanding of more than just two authors...

-

"Hey, Jin?"

After placing the newly dried glass on the side, I wiped my hands with the cloth and looked up at my manager.

"Yes, Kuya Andrew?"

"My little brother is coming later to switch a bit after lunch. You can take a break then!" I stopped wiping my hands and raised a brow.

"Alexis?"

"Yup!"

"Huh... Did he say if Rianne is coming with him?"