4 - First Condition (Shane)

Chapter 4 – First Condition (Shane)

-

"You should've texted me!"

One of his eyebrows ascended, but his confused expression turned to realization right away.

"Oh, right. I forgot we're friends on FB." Jin took out his phone to maybe check.

I sighed, "Seriously! Then maybe we could've started way earlier!"

"My bad."

No use getting hung up on that now.

I dropped my bag on the table and took out the tutoring plan I prepared last night. Before anything else, a weird idea popped right into my head then and there. And there was no way I'm not taking a chance at saying it!

"Were you shy? Was that why you didn't text me?" I didn't stop the growing smug tug on my lips.

Jin's eyebrows twitched, so I waved my hand before he could deny it.

"So, what happened?"

He closed his flip phone and leaned forward on the table, that same slight glare still retaining, "One of the security guards came to talk to Ms. Dalisay, and it seemed like a pretty urgent personal issue."

"Ms. Dalisay...?"

"Readings of Philippine History professor."

"Ah. So, she didn't come back anymore to resume class?"

"Nope. Said we'll continue where we left off next week instead." Eh. "I decided to do some advanced reading instead then."

My eyes shot a bit wide, "Oho? Advanced studying, eh?"

He raised a brow but didn't say anything.

To think this guy would be so serious about his studies...

Then again, that was pretty much established already with how he tried so much to get help from his peers in a failing subject. Most people would give up if they couldn't get any help, or become depressed after facing many rejections. Though I do understand that's a natural reaction, the way I see it, this guy handled all that and still paved through.

I admire that.

"That reminds me, I haven't asked what program you take."

Jin's eyes shifted to my notebook, "Education..." He squinted, "major in history."

"A teacher!"

His eyebrows furrowed as he looked away hugging his backpack, "W-what about it?"

Aww, he's shy about it?

I dropped my pen and smiled.

"I can see it."

"What do you mean?" He glanced back at me.

"I can see you becoming one." I laced my fingers together. "Are you aiming on teaching history in college or something else?"

Somehow, I wasn't sure if it was just me, but something about his expression softened. As if he felt... validated? Was that the right word for it?

"High school." He faked a cough. "And... thanks, I guess. For not thinking it's a ridiculous thing."

I raised a brow. "Why would it be?"

He sighed and placed his head on an open palm, "I don't know. But a lot of people think it'd be better if I had taken a technical course. Like engineering and architecture. Or pursue a doctorate."

Ah.

"I see what you mean. It's quite common here, isn't it? If you're not aiming for anything science or tech-related programs, many people would think you're just wasting your time."