3 - Thank you (Jin)

Chapter 3 – Thank you (Jin)

-

"See you later, Jin!" Alex waved while Rianne simply gave me a nod.

They didn't know about the encounter earlier today as they left as quickly as we greeted each other, which was no different from every day. Most of my classes are in the afternoon, aside from two that would still have to wait for a few hours, while those two have one in a few minutes.

I could always just tell them during lunch break.

Coming to school as early as possible was the ideal situation for me, despite having to wait for another hour and a half for my first class. It's not like I do anything else besides studying, whether here or at home.

At least here, I won't have to constantly avoid their questions regarding how my sophomore year is going so far.

The field in the distance already got sports players lining up for their warm-up exercises. From the open hallway on another side, lazy players running away already got their coaches yelling at the top of their lungs.

The picnic tables were naturally empty in the morning. I sat in my usual spot with my friends, the one shaded under the canopies of the big tree on this side of the campus.

If only those players effectively outrunning their coach would instead use all those energies to do their exercises, they'd be over it all faster than they could complain.

With a sigh, I flipped Shane's notebook open, my eyes lacing ever so briefly to every page before I swiped to the next.

That girl...

Behind this neat and half-cursive handwriting lies an overly presumptuous personality that I initially thought popped out only in text, but when she told me to write something behind her notebook...

Pretty sure she was referring to confessing my feelings. But I'll take up that offer and get my real objective through. I did borrow this just to have a reason to meet her again. So I won't have to go through the entire campus again to look for her.

Her unusual upbringing when we texted last night and conversed a bit earlier won't stop me from what I really want from her.

A sigh escaped my lips as I dropped my pen after writing out the request for tutoring.

This should suffice, right?

I suppose I may have judged too quickly when I thought her presumptuousness was just at the start—as some sort of defense mechanism.

When I sat next to her in my second to the last class for today, which was Philippine Literature, her expression of surprise was full of eyebrow-raising as I slid her notebook onto the long table.

Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it. Maybe she's just teasing. Of course, she's just teasing. She can't seriously think I have a thing for her when I've never even talked to her until recently.

As for whether she's like this for real or just a front she puts up with strangers, I'd rather not know. But if she accepts my proposition, I may have to put up with what she's like.

"Stay there." She mumbled when I was about to stand and find a different seat.

I wanted to ask why, but that innocent and expectant look she had deformed into a slightly serious one with a scrutinizing gaze upon reading my request behind her notebook sewed my lips.

"Good afternoon, class."

Well, I suppose there's nothing wrong with sitting beside her in the middle row. Maybe I just got too used to being in the far back corner.