9 - Habit (Jin)

Chapter 9 – Habit (Jin)

-

"Ms. Halili?" Professor Bejasa's voice echoed throughout the Philippine Literature classroom, leading people to look around. "Is Ms. Halili here?"

I gritted my teeth inside my mouth, and my fingers tapping the table hastened in anxiety.

Where was Shane? Not only did I not see her in the morning, but she also didn't tell me if she had gone ahead or not. And now, our only final and shared subject of the day was here, but she was still nowhere. She has always been here first before me. And it's a Monday, too!

"Alright. Ms. Halili: absent."

Professor Bejasa finished the roll call for all the students in their class and then started reviewing our meeting last week. Until the time the bells rang and time permitted me to go home, Shane never showed up.

Should I check the student publication room? Or the side of the school where the volleyball girls would practice? But why would she attend her extracurriculars if she didn't attend class? She wouldn't do that.

I took my phone out after reaching the school gates. The only new messages from FB came from Rianne and Alex. Nothing from Shane.

Maybe something urgent came up. She usually texted me once she got to school.

I'll just ask her tomorrow.

-

"Ms. Halili: absent."

Again.

Not only that, I still got nothing from her. I should text her first for a change. Should I ask how she was doing? Wouldn't I get an annoying response if I worded my message slightly wrong?

Hey.

I should add more than just that.

Are you okay? – erased.

How are you? – erased.

What's up with you lately? – erased.

Did something happen? Is everything okay? – backspaced.

I pursed my lips and looked away. Why was this suddenly so hard?

Did something happen?

You've been absent for two days now.

There.

Where are you? – erased.

I shoved my phone into my bag and took out my notes as the professor finished checking our attendance. Hero. The word in my notebook that my eyes bore intensely as the flipping of pages from other students and the professor's voice faded into the background.

"Yup! The prince is the hero, and his princess is the heroine!" Shane squared her shoulders, head facing front as we reached the school gates. "I really want to write a screenplay like that someday, too!"

I raised a brow, eyes not leaving her side profile. "Isn't that kind of overrated, though? Or common? For the prince to be the hero?"

It was just a side thought that could've been because of my circumstances. But it stung, somehow. The idea was that only a prince could be the hero. What about commoners? What about people like, I don't know, me? Then again, would a princess want someone who could barely provide for himself? Someone who couldn't give her anything but his devotion and love? What was I even thinking right now?

Shane had this smile on her face reminiscent of how my parents looked at me after I told them I wanted to be a teacher in sixth grade. She hummed a tune and only answered when we crossed the road.