8 - Always so thrilling (Shane)

Chapter 8 – Always so thrilling / As his tutor (Shane)

-

Less than a week left before the day I could see her again.

After long, long years, she must've missed me, too, as it's been super duper long since the last time we saw each other.

I raised my hands to my mouth and huffed, rubbing my palms together afterward to relish the warmth from my breath.

Shadows from students roamed the ground while I stood by the school gates. One shade, however, cast over me. It wasn't that wide or tall, but it stopped right behind me.

Turning around, I smiled at his barely lit eyes, accompanied by dark circles below them, meeting my gaze.

"Good morning!" I greeted.

"Morning." He closed his eyes tightly for a brief moment before slumping his shoulders and yawning. Jin's gaze shot back to mine, and one of his eyebrows ascended. "Do you never stay up late to study?"

"I do!"

He gestured his head forward as he walked on, and I followed beside him. "You don't look like it, though."

I giggled. "There's a thing we call a concealer that hides all those dark bags, you know!"

"No thanks. I don't have time for makeup."

"I wasn't offering you or anything, though!"

"You were about to."

I pursed my lips slowly, my fingers rubbing the straps of my bag as I resisted a grin from forming on my lips.

He peeked, then rolled his eyes. "See? I was right."

"Of course you are. Smarty-pants." I semi-whispered, but enough for him to hear.

"Aren't you the smart one between us?"

"Am I?"

"You tutor me."

"It's just one subject."

"Even so."

"You do well in your other subjects, though!"

"And you top all of yours," Jin turned to look at me with teasing eyes, still walking. "Smarty-pants."

His head turned back in front, and I took that chance to puff my cheeks and look away. My grip on the straps of my backpack seemingly tightened, and something warm crept up my face that I'd rather he not see.

"Hmph."

He used to be more on the receptive side when it came to poking fun at each other like this. In fact, he never actively teased me back until a few weeks ago.

My eyes fluttered even farther from his side. The more I think about it, the more I feel like my cheeks would burn up.

It has been two months since we started our tutoring sessions, and for some reason, ever since the middle of November, which was three weeks ago, it seemed he's shed his guard down even more so around me.

And wasn't that what I wanted from the start? For things to be comfy between us?

It wasn't a big deal, yet, something inside me kept insisting on thinking about this. For quite several days now.

"Shane." His arm rose in front of me, and I bumped into it. "We're here."

I blinked more times than I could count and tried to smile at his somewhat confused expression. Ah. We arrived at my first class in the morning.