12 - Second Condition (Shane)

Chapter 12 - Second Condition (Shane)

-

"I'll leave first so you can discuss your final project among yourselves. This will be the last time we'll meet this year. So 'til then, have a good Christmas break, and Merry Christmas."

A week and a few days after my absence, Professor Bejasa announced our final exam and project in Philippine Literature. Both to be done by the end of February.

As they left the room with plenty of students greeting them back, one guy sitting in the front row walked up to the mini platform and stood behind the desk in the center.

We met eyes, and he smiled, which I returned with a nod of encouragement.

"My name is Yuri Panganiban, and as you all remember earlier, I was assigned as the class leader for our final project." He chuckled a bit. "So, let's go over what we need to do and assign some starter roles, shall we?"

Everyone muttered in agreement, and as Yuri smiled at the positive responses from most of the class, he continued.

"Some roles we need filled now would be..." He took a marker and wrote on the whiteboard. "A secretary, an overall and floor director, a scriptwriter, and a treasurer."

An almost inaudible, exhausted sigh from my right side caught my attention amidst Yuri's discussion. After Jin's sigh, a light yawn followed.

Is he tired? I don't remember us doing much for PL. Maybe it has something to do with keeping up with his other subjects?

He closed his eyes, and my fingers flinched when he opened them, staring right back at me. A bored and almost soft look in his eyes reminded me of last week. I raised a brow to hide the growing embarrassment about to heat up my face.

"Shane," Yuri called, catching my gaze. He smiled brightly with a knowing look. "Is everyone in favor of Shane Halili as our scriptwriter?"

I covered my mouth to hide the growing smile behind my hand as many voiced their yeses. Yuri looked at everyone and nodded as he wrote my name on the board.

When he turned around, he looked at me and held a little thumbs up from one hand before gathering other students for the rest of the starter roles.

"Hmm.." Jin hummed softly beside me. "You must be happy."

"Hm?" I glanced at him and didn't hide my smile anymore. "Of course!"

"So, do you already have an idea or concept?" He placed his head on a hand leaning against the table, his body facing my side.

"Well..."

"Huh." He raised a brow, a little sly look peeking from his eyes. "So, what kind of play does Ms. Halili have in store for the class?"

I faked a cough and returned the brow raise with a little smile. "Take a guess, tutee."

He rolled his eyes. "Don't tell me it has princes and princesses in it."

"Bingo!"

"Jesus Christ." He palmed his face, but there was a slight tug on the corner of his lips. "Why am I even surprised."

"You should've expected it one way or another, you know!"

"That wasn't a question."

"You said 'why,' though."

"Doesn't make it a question."

"Well, you know," I said with a sly smile, ignoring the point he was trying to make. "You seem to know me quite well now."