2 - Lacanilao (Shane)

Chapter 2 – Lacanilao (Shane)

-

"Oof!"

My body settled in a comfortable position on the bean bag where I dropped myself, phone in hand, with the faces of the friends I was with only several minutes ago filling the screen.

"You really should've invited Yuri earlier, Shane! If it's for our dearest Rona, I wouldn't have minded if he tagged along!" Julian, or as he prefers people to call him, Julie, blurted out.

A muffled and flustered noise came from where else but Rona's side.

"Shut up, Julian! That was a friend's hangout! Just the four of us—there is no need t-to invite others!"

"Beach, what did you call me?" I chuckled, putting myself off camera to check the new notifications from my social media account.

I always have notifications, and I like to simply mark them as read unless someone mustered up all their courage to confess their feelings to me; then, of course, I'd hear them out. That's not easy to do, and I don't want to be the one to break someone's belief in love!

New friend requests from strangers again? How do these people even find me when they were never my schoolmate in all my life? Nor are they a relative? FB can be weird often.

Ah, one of them goes to the same college. Though I don't recognize his name at all, we have one mutual friend who was Rianne Umali.

"Hmm.. oh!" I perked up.

That girl was the one we interviewed for last year! The first-year finalist for that one video game competition!

Well, if that reserved person had this guy as her friend on social media, he should be safe to accept. Who knows? Maybe he wants something from me too.

J. Lacanilao sent you a friend request | Accept | Delete |

I gasped.

What if he likes me?

There are zero clues as to why anyone would find me favorable in any way, but I can come up with a few, and as people say—you don't need to meet any sort of formulas to say you're in love; you just know it!

I smiled, wore my earplugs, and clicked back on our video call.

"I had a good time with y'all earlier too, but now I gotta go because my BF is going to come soon!" After Julie's declaration, the squeal that followed got my fingers frantically adjusting the volume down.

"No one cares about your love life, Julian!"

"What did I just say about my name, Rosanna? Admit it; you're just jelly because Papa Yuri still only has eyes for literature!"

"Papa Yuri– pft!" Both Georgette, or simply George, and I couldn't contain our snort at the way Julie referred to Yuri.

If this weren't on an online call, Rona's face would be blasting meteor red!

The call eventually ended less eventful than I thought it'd take. I threw my phone on the bed and stretched my body until my disheveled hair met the floor and my eyes faced the purple stickers of stars on the ceiling.

One hand reached out and grabbed, but it was all too far and out of reach. I tried to smile.

Sometimes I get a bit envious because the things that everyone yearns for so much are nearby—Rona's not-so-obvious crush on her and my childhood friend, Yuri, for example.

I could count our dream careers as part of that thing that we yearn for so much—but there's always something... else, something else that we desire more than what it appears on the surface.