11 - Not the best notes (Jin)

This chapter is dedicated to the best goldfish in all the seas for the lovely concept art she painted for this chapter. See their art above!

-

Chapter 11 – Not the best notes (Jin)

-

"Hello- a student? Can I help you?"

As soon as the unfamiliar lady opened the front door, all the thoughts I had about how this wasn't such a good idea and that I should leave vanished. That could've worked if only I had enough courage to run as fast as I could as soon as I knocked on the door. They would've assumed someone pranked them, then thought nothing of it.

But as I recall the notification on FB earlier, I suppose this shouldn't be so bad. Shane had been incredibly nice and considerate of me; I could at least greet her properly on her birthday.

I looked down at the plastic bag I had, then back at the bobbed-haired lady that would probably be her aunt.

I bowed my head lightly, "Good evening. I'm, um, a friend of Shane?" That came off like a question. Get a grip, man.

"Oh?" She seemed surprised. Maybe Shane had never mentioned me to any of them.

Of course, she wouldn't. Why would she, right?

I cleared my throat, "I, err, saw on social media that it was her birthday today." As I glanced at her, my eyes darted away quickly at her widened eyes. "And I heard she's been sick these past couple of days, so I thought I'd, well, um...."

Why was I even having a hard time finding the right words? I had practiced what to say at Chimmy's with my lovesick friends plenty of times already.

I raised my arm lightly, trying to get her attention on the plastic bag filled with yogurt drink take-outs.

"Ah, that's so sweet! Wait a moment," She turned to the side and yelled Shane's name, "Honey, can you call Shane?"

"Hm?" A man I assumed was her uncle peeked from the side. "Are you a friend of Shane?"

"Y-yes."

"That kid..." His voice faded as he went away and spoke to someone from somewhere inside.

"What's your name?" Her aunt asked.

"Jin."

Before she said more, her gaze drifted elsewhere, and as the distant, hurried steps on planked staircases reached my senses, my hold on the plastic bag tightened, and I looked away.

Shane's aunt glared at the loudened steps. "Why didn't you tell us?"

"I-I didn't know-"

When her voice trailed off, something about where it came from caught my full attention, I found myself looking back up at the people visible by their doorframe and Shane's hair tied up in a messy ponytail with a worn-out scrunchie jiggling with every head movement she made. Her eyes glistened with the light by the entrance mistaking her for its muse, and her cheeks were red for some reason. When she pouted and turned her head to the side after a little scolding, I had to cover my mouth.

She was probably still recovering. I should leave these and go.

Her slippers came into my view. Then our eyes met.

I squinted and raised a brow, waiting for her to follow it up with her usual bright smile and an assumption on why I ended up at her doorstep. But none of those came, and she only stared.

I rolled my eyes and pressed the plastic bag between us.

"...Yogurt drinks?"

Looking away, my other hand's grip inside my pocket tightened. "Yes. I got five in various flavors since I didn't know what your family liked." My voice softened as I peeked at her surprised face. "Consider it thanks for helping me out in PL. Take it."