10 - Broken Promises (Shane)

Chapter 10 – Broken Promises (Shane)

-

"I want to go now!"

"You're still at 37 celsius." Aunt Kat patted my head before standing with the thermometer in hand. "I already told your professor yesterday that you'll attend school tomorrow. Just to be safe, take it easy today, too. Alright?"

I pouted and sunk deeper into my blankets. "Fine. But can I at least use the laptop—" She put my laptop in its bag, "—or my phone?"

Without another word, she swooped up my phone from the table.

"Aunt!" I whined.

"It's for your own good." She marched to the door of my room before facing me again. "Knowing you, you're gonna keep asking your classmates for notes or homework and then do them behind my back. You've fooled me with that tactic twice, but that's as far as the trick goes."

"Actually, Aunt Kat, I've done it thrice."

She eyed me, zipping my mouth shut. "... I'll be back in thirty minutes. Eat your breakfast." She left with the bag of my gadgets in her arms.

While I did plan on snooping in with homework, I had something else in mind. I could go ask her later.

It didn't take long for her to return, and I also finished the congee and two slices of toast on time. I placed the glass of water back on the tray, and Aunt Kat wordlessly took the tray and turned to leave.

"D-did..." I bit my lip when she stopped walking, back still turned. "..she call?"

For a moment there, my stomach grumbled silently in anticipation. In hopes that even just today, just today, she would call. For me. Just this day every year.

That's all I ask for.

After an uneasy silence, Aunt Kat approached the door and stopped briefly. "Rest well. I promise I'll let you use your gadgets later after lunch, alright? Once again," she peeked and smiled. Still, her eyes betrayed her attempt at cheerfulness. "Happy Birthday, Shane."

When the door clicked softly, I cocked my head to the star stickers barely visible in the morning light. I reached one arm and stretched it as far as I could. Let my fingers get them, at least. But in the end, the stars blurred in my vision so did my struggling hand and fingers. I grabbed it, but it caught nothing when I opened my hand.

I stared back at the ceiling but couldn't see anything. Biting my lips, I buried my face in my hands. Only then did my palms get ahold of something that fell down from my chin, cheeks, and eyelids.

Yet another one of her broken promises to at least contact me on my birthday.

Fourteen years. Fourteen whole years. I've always waited and assumed she would return for me one day. That one day, she will appear by my aunt's house door as a surprise. Maybe on my seventh birthday, the next one, and the other one after, but it didn't happen.

Though I had my friends, aunt, uncle, and two cousins with me all through these years, there wasn't a single Christmas, New Year's, school graduation, school family day, and birthday that I didn't wish only for her appearance. To run to me, hug me, and tell me how much she missed me, how sorry she was for not coming back sooner. And then, I'd forgive her, and then, we'll exchange our I love you's, and then...

I pushed my head out of my hands while my fingers clutched my chest. I opened my mouth and allowed tiny squeaks to come out because holding it all in clogged my breathing. And my heart struggled to keep my eyes open behind the lack of oxygen with my now runny nose.