chapter 10- old friends pt.2

Remember this. Relying on others to do things for you is another way of asking them to live your life for you.

Pep rallies. Ew.

They disgust me. A big sweaty crowd of high- schoolers gathered in the sports hall so that we can work on our school spirit.

I'm an elegant kind of girl. I don't like those things. However, pep rallies are mandatory here at Selbrook High.

It was 1:30pm, school ended in exactly an hour. Me and Jacob were rushing to get to the pep rally because we were so late. We sprinted through the empty halls and its depressing atmosphere.

"Slow down, Val." Jacob chuckled. A smile stuck on his face.

"Oh so you call me Val now?" I tease, "You and your nicknames."

"Ok Miss Ballerina." He says.

"You're never going to let the fact that I do ballet go, are you?" I question, rolling my eyes as I know he'll tease me about this.

"Never. I will never live peacefully until the moment I see you perform."

"Say goodbye to peace then."

We stop at the double doors of the sports hall to catch our breath. We look at each other and laugh.

"You should be in shape. Since you're a ballerina and all." He states, hand on his chest as he breathes heavily.

"Ex-ballerina." I respond.

"Oh yeah." He chuckles, "Imagine being an ex-ballerina."

"Imagine being a drug dealer." I fire back.

"Wow. I'm hurt." He says sarcastically.

"Come on, let's go." I say as I gesture towards the sports hall.

I open the colossal double doors and feel the judgemental eyes of the whole school on me. Not even on Jacob, just me.

I hear the whispers of "Cancer Girl" and immediately look towards the ground as I take a step forward.

Jacob follows me and takes my hand, showing me that he's with me.

Why? Why does he treat me so kindly?

"Come on, let's go." He repeats the same words I said earlier.

A genuine smile appears on my face as I realise that Jacob Hiell is actually pretty nice. My hospital eye candy turned out to mean a lot to me.

"Miss Sprett, Mr Hiell." Principal Waters says, "You're late, take a seat please."

We walk up the stairs of the bleachers, hand in hand. It's less awkward since we're doing it together.

We look for two open seats and we successfully find one.

But it's next to Clarissa.

Actually, the whole friendship group is sat there. The order goes from Hailey, Joshua, Brett, Leia and then Clarissa.

From what I observe I assume that Brett and Leia are dating. That's sweet. They're both kind airheads. I mean that in the nicest way possible. I bet Brett only wanted to date Leia because they both have green eyes.

I catch Hailey giving me a piercing stare and honestly I'm over her and her shallow self.

Joshua just sits there, stationery. He made eye contact with me and immediately looked away. Am I that intimidating? I mean I often have that effect on men.

Jacob offers for him to sit down next to Clarissa but I say it's alright.

I sit on the seat and five myself sandwiched between Clarissa and Jacob.

Yup, this is awkward.

"Hey Valerie!" Clarissa says.

"Hey." I say in a monotone voice."

"So, me and the others were just playing truth or dare. Want to join?" Clarissa asks.

"Uh, sure." I reply.

"You too Jacob, want to join?" Clarissa looks over to Jacob who gives Clarissa the side eye then looks over to me as if asking for permission to play along. I shrug.

"Sure, why not." Jacob says.

"Yo, by the way, I'm Brett, this is Leia ,my girlfriend, that's Hailey and that's Joshua." Brett says, introducing Jacob to everyone. "Yeah, Hailey and Joshua used to date."

"Okay, Brett, no need to say that. The past is the past." Joshua says. I can see the hurt on Hailey's face as he says that.

"Alright, I guess it's your turn Valerie." Clarissa looks over to me, "Truth or dare?"

Okay. Time to bring our analytical Valerie. We are under the age of 18. When under 18s play truth or dare the questions tend to be childish or repeat themselves. Usually the first question someone asks for truth is 'who's you're crush?' But since I've had something significant happen to me (my cancer) they'll probably ask about that. I'm not about to talk about my cancer with Clarissa, someone who definitely doesn't care. However, date has endless possibilities. Sometimes dares can be fun, sometimes they can be outright embarrassing. Am I willing to take that risk?

"Dare." I guess I'm a risk taker.

"Hmm, I dare you to shout that you have cancer right now, in the middle of this pep rally. And stand up while doing it." Clarissa says that all while having a giant grin on her face.

"No-"

"Clarissa how about you shout 'I'm a remorseless manipulator' right now, in the middle of this pep rally." Jacob cuts me off and grabs my hand.

I don't need to rely on him to always save me. I can't have him living my life for me. I've almost had my life taken away from me.

"I don't need your help, Jacob." I say while taking my hand away from his. "I don't need to rely on you to always save me. I can't have you living my life for me. I've almost had my life taken away from me, okay, the least you can do is let me have my own fights."

I see the same hurt that was on Hailey's face be transferred onto Jacob's face.

"Oh come on, you know they'd be lenient on you because you have cancer." Clarissa says, still having that same grin on her face. "Like if any other normal person came in late they would have a detention, but of course you were let off, sorry if I hurt you."

"Okay Clarissa, how about you save that fake apology and give it to that woman you murdered." I respond, rage replacing my senses.

I see Clarissa staring at me in disbelief, wanting to say something but having nothing come out.

"Murdered?" Hailey's face looks confused and scared.

"I don't know what she's talking about, come on she w has cancer she's not in her right mind." Clarissa laughs it off nonchalantly.

"Had. I had cancer." I correct Clarissa.

I grab my bag and wall down the bleachers. All eyes are on me, yet I don't feel embarrassed because I've come to the conclusion that no matter what I do eyes will always be fixated on me in Selbrook High.

I walk out the double doors and pull my phone out of my pocket. 1:58pm.

I groan as I realise the day isn't over yet.

Off to my next class.

______________
the drama😭
anyways i hope you enjoyed
may God bless whoever is reading this
1174 words
17/09/22