letter 1

Open when...I'm dead.

My dearest, Jacob Hiell.

If you're reading this, I've passed away.

It's been a year since you've left to go to Manhattan. A year since the day my cancer came back.

The doctors say my conditions are worsening and all I can think about is you.

I'm writing this because I'm scared, petrified. Scared of death. Well, not necessarily scared of death. Scared of losing you. I feel a sharp pain in my heart every time I think about leaving you here all alone. It hurts to think that I might be living a life without you.

But it's okay. I'll be okay if I know you're happy, so please, move on. Move on and let me go, let me out of your mind and your emotions. Keep me in your memory but never dwell on my death.

My death is a celebration of the life I've lived. The life I lived with you. Although our time was short, our love for one another is everlasting.

Jacob, you're beautiful.

Your eyes, though dull, mean so much to me. Those eyes have watched me through many highs and many lows. Those eyes found me. Out of everyone else, you chose me.

Thank you.

You're lips. The soft touch I felt when you kissed me that very night when we were 16. The fire you flicker deep within me when you show me your graceful smile. I'll never forget how you smile at me. I'll keep your smile alive in my memories.

Thank you.

You. Jacob you don't know how you make me feel, so let me explain it to you.

Elegant waves thrashing as the faint fumes of salt greet me calmly. A pale blue sky in the frigid winter as my icy breathe harshly grazes my delicate skin. Walking across the vast plain of a planet, lost inside the endless void that is space.

That is how you make me feel Jacob. I'll love you till the end of forever, till the very last breath.

Thank you for showing me how it feels to be loved. I am forever grateful and forever in your debt. Thank you.

So please Jacob, live on. For me.

Yours forever and always, even in death, Valerie Sprett.

Goodbye.