chapter 19- valerie

JACOB'S POV:

I sob to myself. Repeating the same words over and over, not sure if she can even hear me.

"Don't leave me, please don't leave me, I love you."

I cave into myself. I can't lose Valerie, if she's gone I truly have no one.

I check her pulse and feel relief run through my body as I feel it. She's alright.

I take my phone and dial the ambulance, desperate for them to answer.

As I describe to them the state that Valerie is in tears begin to overflow my eyes. She's laying there, helpless, unresponsive. Just like my mother.

I replay what Valerie said over and over, scavenging my mind to try and piece together what she was trying to say.

Whatever's happening to her made her not be able to finish her sentence.

She looks glorious as she basks in the glorious moonlight.

The jerking sound of the ambulance sirens pierce my ears.

They rush over to Valerie and put her on a stretcher and carry her into the back of the ambulance. I get into the back of the ambulance as well and take a seat near her.

I fidget with my fingers and I try to clear my mind of everything so I can just stay with her in this moment.

We rush the the hospital and the medics carry her out of the ambulance on the stretcher. I sprint to catch up with them.

We enter the hospital and they rush to a hospital room. I place my hand on Valerie's and tears trickle down my face.

She wakes up and she looks around, scared and afraid. She turns and she faces me and suddenly, she seems comfortable.

"Jacob." She whispers weakly.

"Valerie, don't worry, we'll always be connected, okay," I reassure her, trying my best to cover up the fact that I was crying, "I'll come back, trust me."

She nods her head and closes her eyes.

"Sir, I'm going to need you to wait outside." Says the medic as he tries his best to usher me away.  

I see them take her away. I look at her deeply, her skin iridescent in the fluorescent hospital lights.

I lose touch of reality. I just stare as they drag her into the hospital room, and try their best to help her. I stand there, not doing anything. I feel so useless.

Everything appears to be in slow motion from my perspective.

Time slows down.

I look behind me to see who I assume to be Valerie's parents. She looks so much like her mother.

I see their screams but I can't hear them as my mind is silencing it. My mind is silencing everything.

They rush over to their daughter, ever-flowing tears gushing out of their eyes. The love they have for Valerie is real and genuine. The love between parents and their daughter, nothing can compare.

Every thought. Every memory. Only she is on my mind. Only the image of her as she opened her eyes and looked safe while looking at me. She's all I need. All I've ever needed and all I want.

It hurts me that I can't be with her. I'll never know if she made it, if she lived past this day. I'll never know because I'll be gone by tomorrow. In a whole different part of the country. I'm so sorry, Valerie, forgive me.

I miss having you by my side. I miss your snide remarks and everything you've said to me. I miss your words.

I love you, Valerie Sprett, I really do.
19/09/22