chapter 15- birthday

I bask in the autumn atmosphere as the wind blowing is a mixture of cold and warm air.

Gosh I love autumn and no, I'm not being biased because my birthday is in autumn. October 4th, which is today, so I'm 16 now.

But anyways, back to autumn. It's just the superior season.

The warm and fuzzy atmosphere, crunchy leaves beneath your feet and breathtaking scenery. What more could you want?

I walk across the road and am greeted by the loud and boisterous font of "Selbrook High" plastered across my school.

"Here we go again," I think to myself.

I walk over to Jacob, who I see leaning by my locker with his hands in his pockets and his hoodie up. He thinks he looks so cool.

I leap into him and hug him in an attempt to give him clues as to what this special day is about.

He just looks at me, dazed and confused.

"Uh, are you okay?" He looks at me with a highly concerned look on his face.

"Of course," I say through a toothy grin.

"Why are you so happy?" He asks in a deep, raspy voice.

"Oh, you know," I say vaguely.

"No, I don't know," He responds.

I tone down my smile and we head over to the library.

Since we go to the library so often we might as well do something productive while we're there. So that's why I volunteered for both me and Jacob to shelf books.

"Ugh, I'm so mad at you. Why did you apply for a literal job at the school library?" Jacob whines.

"It's not even that difficult," I explain, "All we do is put the book on the right shelf, it's easy."

He rolls his eyes at me and smiles.

I pick up a book from the pile on the table and climb up the ladder. Carefully, I place the book on the shelf.

As I go down I scrape my right arm on the ladder and start to bleed. Oh green beans and lentils, this is embarrassing.

"Valerie, are you alright?" He immediately takes my arm and examines it to try and locate all the wounds.

"Yeah, yup, I'm okay," I say, trying to sound as nonchalant as possible.

He quickly goes to the librarians desk and fetches a plaster. He comes back and places it gently onto the scrape on my arm.

"You really can't be trusted with shelving books," He says, "You should take a break so you feel better, I'll do the rest."

It's the return of the butterflies. They deserve their spotlight.

I start blushing profusely even though I don't know why, what he did was the bare minimum.

"Are you blushing?" He says with a wide grin on his face. "Do I make you blush?"

"No," I protest. "Don't get ahead of yourself."

"Alright sure." He says, still with that same wide grin stuck to his face.

I look anywhere but at him as a result of my embarrassment.

"Hey, want to go somewhere after school?" He asks spontaneously.

"Sure."

***

"Jade's Ice Cream Parlour," I read off the giant letters in bold lettering.

"Yup," Jacob says.

"Why are we here?" I ask.

"Time will tell, Valerie Sprett," He replies, "Time will tell."

"Ew, don't speak like that," I laugh.

We enter the ice cream place and I instantly adore it.

Baby pink and Beige Cushioned sofas in LED booths.  Mini chandeliers towering above each booth. A simple white vase with Baby's Breath flowers placed neatly in them. Silk and tulle curtains draping over, allowing you to cover yourself in your booth.

"Do you like it?" Jacobs asks nervously.

"Jacob, I love this!" I exclaim ecstatically, "This is my kind of ice cream parlour."

"Yeah, when I saw this I immediately thought of you." He claims.

"Oh, so you think of me?" I tease him, just as he did to me earlier.

"Shut up and enjoy that I did something special for your birthday," He says.

"Oh yeah, I forgot it was my birthday," I chuckle under my breath.

"Of course you would do that," He sighs and laughs.

"Oh and how do you know it's my birthday, I never told you?" I interrogate him.

"I have my ways, Valerie," He says, "I have my ways."

I roll my eyes and walk over to one of the booths. Jacob follows.

Suddenly, I spot a waiter bring out a large bowl of mango and strawberry ice cream.

Ooh I'm eating good tonight.

"I made a reservation for you," He says.

"Thank you so much. It just sucks that I wasn't able to do anything for your birthday," I explain to him.

"It's alright, I got the gift of getting to know you."

These butterflies have got to go.

The waiter places the ice cream onto our table and I thank him.

Me and Jacob grab our spoons and dig in. The ice cream here is wonderful, I need to come back sometime.

I see Jacob scrambling in his bag for something and I see him pull out the cutest silver heart shaped locket.

"For you," He slides the locket over in my direction.

"Thank you so much! Honestly, this is too much," I say with a spoon of mango ice cream in one hand and the locket in the other.

"Oh yeah, these as well," He takes out Werther's Butter Candies and one pink tulip. My heart melts, he's too sweet.

I stand up and hug him. Although, it's awkward as he's sitting down so i'm kind of hugging his neck. I might accidentally be choking him.

I pull away from the hug and the outcome is a dazed smile stuck on Jacob's face.

I unwrap the Werther's candies and place some onto the ice cream. I taste my sweet concoction and wince at the utter sweetness that the taste exudes.

As I'm experimenting with food, I see Jacob's face contemplating about something in the corner of my eye.

All of a sudden our eyes meet and he begins to speak.

"Hey, want to do something fun?"

_____________
awww this was so cute i loved it
stay tuned!
word count- 1035
19/09/22