chapter 11- old friends pt.3

Ugh what a day it's been so far. I stand by my locker and gather the supplies I need for my next class.

I close my locker and standing by it is Joshua. He's speaking with one of his friends. We haven't spoken since the kiss.

"Hi." I say, hoping I catch his attention.

He turns around and as he sees me he looks embarrassed. As in, embarrassed to be seen with me.

"What do you want." He responds.

How rude. As I recall he was the one who kissed me. Then never spoke to me about it. He's the definition of a player."

"Nothing. I was just saying hi." I say looking confused as to how he thought I wanted something from him.

"Okay..Is that all?" He questions in a rude tone, desperate to leave this conversation.

"Did I do something wrong? Did I hurt you or something?" I ask, genuinely confused as to why he's being so cold to me. I mean I have been nothing but nice to him.

"I just can't be seen with somebody who has cancer."

Ow. Those words hurt. Not because it was Joshua who said it, I could care less about Joshua. It's because maybe that's how other people view me. Embarrassing. Maybe that's why I don't have that many friends. Nobody wants to be seen with 'Cancer Girl'.

"Well weren't you the one who kissed me?" I reply, eager for an answer.

"Yeah but that was before you had cancer, I can't like someone with cancer." He answers.

"Oh well that's okay, I don't want to be seen with someone who was the same IQ as a rice cake." I tell him, "Oh yeah and I beat cancer, if you ever cared to ask."

I walk away with fury building up inside me. Who does he think he is?

I enter my English classroom just to see Hailey being all flirty flirty with Jacob. I mean come on, really?

A sense of jealousy creeps up inside me and I fight the urge to delve deeper and see why I'm jealous.

I go to my seat which is next to Jacob's and slam my book on my table.

"What's the matter Cancer Girl, who hurt you?" Hailey says while a snide look is set on her face.

"What's wrong with having cancer?" Jacob asks Hailey.

"Nothing." She stutters, "I love people with cancer." She laughs off awkwardly.

Jacob rolls his eyes at her. I see he's learning from me. Eye-rolling is a dangerous and highly contagious activity.

"Hey, um, are you okay?" Jacob turns to me and away from Hailey. She scoffs as he does this.

"Yeah, why?" I ask.

"You're hands are in fists." He chuckles faintly.

"Oh. Right." I say.

"Are you mad at me? Please don't be mad at me?" He says, looking down towards the ground. Aw he's shy.

I take his hand as he often does to mine.

"No, I'm not mad." I explain, "I'm sorry it's just that I don't always need you involving yourself in situations where I can handle the problem myself."

"I'm really sorry." He apologises. I can tell his words are genuine.

"It's okay." I forgive him. He deserves forgiveness.

"Thanks. So where were you?" He asks.

"Oh I was talking to Joshua. He says he didn't want to be seen with me because I have cancer." I tell him. Hiding the fact that I was seriously hurt by what Joshua said.

"Is he insane? He seriously said that to you?" Jacob questions angrily. Oh gosh, I can see his veins popping.

"Okay, okay calm down. It's not that deep." I say, trying my best to get him to relax.

"Oh yeah, I forgot to give you this." He reaches into his backpack and pulls out a letter. He then hands it to me.

"Ooh. What's this?" I take the letter from him. It says 'To Valerie' and it has a pink tulip stuck onto it using tape.

I open it up and see 'Valerie Sprett' written on a piece of card and beneath it is a total of 15 songs written down.

Wow.

"Oh my goodness. I feel so guilty." I exclaim, "You took the time to write down all these songs and I just made a playlist on Spotify."

"It's alright. Just send me the playlist." He chuckles. Gosh his genuine smile is so light and airy, "I'll add the playlist for you on Spotify too so it's easier for you to listen to."

"Alright, but honestly thank you. I really appreciate this." I say.

I hug him. Oh my goodness I really hug him. He doesn't hug back for the first few seconds, which makes me embarrassed, but after a while he does.

I hugged Jacob Hiell.

And Jacob Hiell hugged me back.

Cool.

____________
heyyy
gosh this is the end to the 'old friends' arc
ik i made it into 3 parts😭
but i really hope you enjoyed the outcome
838 words
17/09/22