3

"Bonjour à tous," the teacher speaks

"Bonjour," the class and I say back.

"I heard about your trip to Paris next month. I do hope you all can go. Monsieur Thomas asked if I could come along, and I said yes, obviously. Cela dit, I'm going to switch my whole plan to teach you phrases about scenarios you might be in."

I hope they'll let us pick our hotel room partners. I wonder if Harper and I can get away with sneaking out. We can just wait for the teachers to fall asleep. I hope we meet cute French dudes.

"Elijah, Lavender, Sage, Theo, and Harper."

Crap, I accidentally tuned out Madame Monet's lesson.

"Oui?" I ask. I'm so confused.

"We're going to do a bit of role-playing." She gestures for us to stand up and come towards her. "Pretend you're on a date in a restaurant. Using what you know, try to form complete sentences with the correct pronunciation. Elijah and Lav, you're on tourist date duty; Sage, you can be the waiter; Harper, you're the person who's lived there all your life. Let's rearrange your desks then, this is going to be so exciting!"

She makes a few students pull the desks together a certain way and Harper pulls me closer to her.

"I'm not the only one who ships it," she whispers in a singing voice while poking my arm repeatedly.

I smack her away. "You're insane," I harshly whisper.

Madame Monet gets our attention and places us where we need to be. Elijah and I are facing each other while sitting down at the two desks pushed together, Harper and Theo's desk is close to ours but not too close, and Sage is leaning on the teacher's table waiting for her to give him further instruction.

"Okay, here's how it works." She faces us, "You guys make conversations from what you know and-" she turns to face the other students-"you guys have to guess what they said. Understood?"

The whole class erupted in an 'oui'.

"Action!"

Sage walks up to us and smiles; that's his annoyed smile. "Bonsoir, qu'est-ce que vous allez prendre?"

I see Madame Monet point to a boy, James. "He basically asked what they wanted."

She nodded and looked back at us, gesturing to continue.

"Je voudrais le poulet, s'il-vous-plaît," Elijah replies.

The teacher points to Harper who's behind me.

"Uhm— parlez lentement," she stutters.

She definitely thought she wasn't going to be called on if she was up here.

I watch as Elijah looks over at her and slowly repeats his answer. My eyes fall onto his lips as I notice how he pronounces every word perfectly.

A phone ringing pulls me out of my gaze and makes me jump slightly.